Father and son embrace coaching at North Callaway

3 years 1 month 2 weeks ago Friday, October 21 2016 Oct 21, 2016 Friday, October 21, 2016 4:31:00 PM CDT October 21, 2016 in Sports
By: Mark Kim, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

KINGDOM CITY – North Callaway football players have a nickname for defensive line coach Robert Rosenbaum.

“We called him ‘Rosenpops’ and it just kind of stuck after the first couple days of practice,” senior defensive guard Nick Douglas said.

According to Douglas, the “Rosenpops” nickname isn’t just a nickname out of fun, it’s one out of necessity.

“My youngest son Ross is also on the staff so he’s known as Coach Rosenbaum and I’m known as ‘Coach Rosenpop,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Ross serves as North Callaway’s defensive coordinator and coaches with his dad Robert.

North Callaway coach Kevin O’Neal said the similarities between the two are uncanny, especially on the football field.

“Robert has a lot of grit. I definitely see where Ross gets his passion for the game from,” O’Neal said.

Ross Rosenbaum’s passion for football started at a young age. As a kid, Ross would watch his dad play semi-pro football in the "Bullet Ball" semi-pro football league. Ross got his start playing Pop Warner football at the age of four and would play football until college.

But the football playing days didn’t leave as big of an impact on Ross Rosenbaum as his first chance at coaching football.

“When my dad was coaching a youth team when I was in 10th or 11th grade, he actually used to drive me down and I’d help him call the offense. I really got a taste for it then and I decided that coaching might be something I want to do when I get older.” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Ross Rosenbaum would take a job at North Callaway as a math teacher, head wrestling coach and assistant football coach. One season after being hired at North Callaway, Ross Rosenbaum was promoted to defensive coordinator.

As the new defensive coordinator, Ross Rosenbaum adopted his dad’s defensive scheme and brought it to North Callaway.

"I actually ran my dad's defense. It's the defense he had been running for about seven or eight years as a d-coordinator up home. So I was calling him everyday anyways, getting his input, getting his advice," Ross Rosenbaum said.

Eventually, Ross Rosenbaum invited his dad to help run North Callaway’s summer football camp this past summer.

“I was just gonna come for camp. They offered me the position to come and help and I thought about it and I thought ‘you know, I’d rather do that than anything so yeah I’ll come,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

North Callaway players didn’t notice much of a different once Robert Rosenbaum joined the coaching staff.

“He just likes to hit a lot harder and yell a little louder,” Douglas said.

Robert Rosenbaum even sees the similarities between him and his son.

“When I see him coach a lot, I see myself in him. The tone, the direction, the intensity, etc,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Having his dad on the sidelines with him is just like old times for Ross Rosenbaum.

“I played for him for so long. I’ve listened to him my whole life. So when I hear his voice, it’s nice to hear him say the right things and I don’t have to worry about the d-line,” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Both Robert and Ross Rosenbaum enjoy having one another on the sidelines.

“It’s been a dream and I’m enjoying it. We’re already talking about figuring out how we’re going to do it next year if it could be that way. We’re going to come back and keep after it,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

COLUMBIA - The Substance Abuse Advisory Commission decided on Wednesday that it could not endorse the ban of all flavored... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:21:00 PM CST December 11, 2019 in News
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal said at a news conference with other officials Wednesday... More >>
2 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:11:00 PM CST December 11, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The bronze statue that has sat atop the Capitol for nearly 95 years is causing controversy. ... More >>
2 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:01:00 PM CST December 11, 2019 in News
COOPER COUNTY - The banks of the Lamine River look different Wednesday. During previous days of the search for... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 12:53:00 PM CST December 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Pulaski County Deputies are looking for Austin Tabor after receiving several calls about stolen vehicles Sunday. At... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 12:38:00 PM CST December 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — Father Tolton Catholic High School announced its search for new leadership Wednesday, more than a month after the... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 12:08:00 PM CST December 11, 2019 in News
MARCELINE - Tucked into a small part of Linn County sits Marceline, Mo. and the Walt Disney Hometown Museum. ... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:00:00 AM CST December 11, 2019 in News
LAKE OF THE OZARKS - Divers with the Missouri State Highway Patrol recovered the victim's body at 1:10 p.m. in... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:08:00 AM CST December 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - On Wednesday, the Boone County League of Women Voters is celebrating 100 years since its founding. The... More >>
12 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 3:45:00 AM CST December 11, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Lawmakers from both sides of the aisle will come together for a press conference over Missouri's HIV-specific... More >>
12 hours ago Wednesday, December 11 2019 Dec 11, 2019 Wednesday, December 11, 2019 3:40:00 AM CST December 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Hughes' family puts together their Christmas jigsaw puzzle in their front yard around Thanksgiving every year. It's... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:39:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The Supreme Court of Missouri unanimously upheld a death sentence ruling Tuesday against a Jefferson City man who... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:36:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Court of Appeals ruled in favor of awarding $5.3 million to Ryan Ferguson. The court... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:30:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in News
ELDON - Four city workers in Eldon are left in the dark after they have been notified by the city... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:36:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA – Columbia Public Schools released its investigation summary into the Battle High School vs. Jackson R-2 varsity football game.... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:23:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Four state lawmakers have pre-filed legislation to raise Missouri's fuel tax in 2021. The tax is currently... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:13:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Nearly 70,000 pounds of pork will be going to Missouri families after a donation from the Missouri Pork... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:39:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – The Central Missouri Mother's Milk Depot opened in early spring of 2019. Now, as premature baby rates... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:05:00 PM CST December 10, 2019 in News