Fire at recycling center causes estimated $40,000 in damages
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department said a fire at a recycling center around noon Monday caused thousands of dollars in damages.
An employee at Civic Recycling at 300 Brown Station Rd. told Assistant Fire Marshal Brian Davison he was working on a welding project just before he left for lunch. Fire investigators confirmed the welding as the origin of the fire and estimated damages at $40,000.
Firefighters said they saw "heavy smoke coming from a workshop" when they arrived on scene.
The news release said the fire was under control within ten minutes and no one was injured.