Firefighters: smoking materials started Columbia house fire
COLUMBIA - Officials say a house caught fire Sunday afternoon because of improperly disposed smoking materials.
Three people were in the house on Cliff Drive at the time of the fire and escaped without injury.
It took crews about 10 minutes to get the fire under control.
Crews determined the origin was the rear deck. The fire then spread to the side of the house.
The interior of the house was minimally affected by the fire, with the rear deck taking most of the damage. The total damages are estimated at $20,000.
The Columbia Fire Department urges residents to discard smoking materials in a metal or non-combustible container with a layer of water.