Former NFL Players open business in Columbia

3 years 2 months 2 weeks ago Saturday, May 27 2017 May 27, 2017 Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:06:00 PM CDT May 27, 2017 in Sports
By: Jasmyn Willis, KOMU 8 News Reporter

COLUMBIA - A new business pushes its clients to their limit and has them sweating bullets.

Two former NFL players and Mizzou football players Jerrell Jackson and Micheal Egnew opened Athletics Performance Institute last week.

The gym is an addition to the All-Star Performance Institute. API has cheer and tumbling, sports performance training, adult training and boot camps.

Clients worked out at API's second boot camp Saturday in their new location. API has individual and group sessions.

Jackson said when he played in the NFL he learned importance physical training.

“I was blessed to be able to get a full scholarship at Mizzou,” Jackson said. “Once I graduated, I made it to the NFL, played three years in the NFL and I understood that as an athlete your body was your biggest investment. Which means you really have to put your body through some stress in order for you to reach those goals.”

Jackson said he focuses on providing his clients with the tools, and motivation to stay committed.

“Being in this position and knowing I’m inspiring others, motivating others, man it’s just like an ultimate goal of mine," Jackson said. "I just feel blessed.”

Jackson said he grew up in a poor neighborhood and he continues to push himself because others look up to him.

“I’m still pushing to be great,” Jackson said. “People in my neighborhood see that. They always hit me up, they always contact me and say 'bro we so proud of you man. Keep it up you inspiring everybody to be great.' And that’s what it means as a minority that the same kid that grew up in that neighborhood made it out.”

Jackson said he’s blessed, but anyone can accomplish their goal with hard work and staying committed.

“Just inspiring people in my similar situation,” Jackson said. “And letting people know that it don’t matter who you are, where you started, who your family is, if you started with a million dollars or what you know. You can make it, you just have to work hard and be persistent.”

Jackson said he trains a wide variety of clients.

“Right now I have a kid that’s 12-years-old and I have a lady that’s 57-years-old,” Jackson said “It’s so broad. It’s men, women, short, tall, young, old.”

API client, Catherine Miller said API is for everyone regardless of where you are in your fitness journey.

“It didn’t matter what size, shape, where you were in your journey,” Miller said. “If you’ve never exercised, if your just coming back. Everyone wants to see you succeed. And that’s like the best atmosphere to be in.”

Miller said she rearranges her schedule to make it to workout classes.

“I hate missing class,” Miller said. “Like I hate missing class and if I know I have a meeting for work that I have to go to so I’m like hey can I trade classes and like come in the morning which is tough for me. It’s like a 5:30 class, and I’m not even a morning person but I’m willing to get up and come at 5:30 in the morning because I don’t want to miss those workouts.”

Miller said seeing her transformation has been worthwhile and caused her to invite her friends.

“You want to have your friends who have been struggling, like 'hey why don’t you come with me? Like I know a place that you can become success at.' So I’m all about telling my friends, bringing folks here because I wanted them to be successful like I’ve been.”

Client Kelly Holtkamp has been working out with Jackson since last fall. Holtkamp said she's seen major changes and encourages others to join.

“I’ve lost 6 inches in my stomach which is critical,” Holtkamp said.  “And just give it a try, I’ve been going to gyms and working out all my life and I’ve never experienced the enthusiasm and the support as genuinely as this.”

Another client Victoria Thompson said working with supportive people, like Jackson and the API staff, has made the difference.

“He just cares about you and your progress so much that you don’t have any other option but to be great," Thompson said.

Jackson said opening a business would not have been possible without the support of his co-owner Micheal Egnew, All-Star Performance Institute owner Melissa Wilhite and head trainer Jordan Brewer.

COLUMBIA - On Monday, Columbia public schools pushed back the start date of the 2020- 2021 school year till after... More >>
2 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 10:18:00 AM CDT August 13, 2020 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Although standardized testing will not be a requirement for admission to the UM System this year, some local... More >>
18 hours ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 7:02:00 PM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — After a Board of Education meeting earlier this week, Columbia Public Schools will still give families the choice... More >>
18 hours ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 6:45:14 PM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
MISSOURI — As COVID-19 continues to spread throughout Missouri, state and local officials confirm new case counts daily. This... More >>
19 hours ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 5:30:00 PM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — Police have arrested 39-year old Justin Spence, of Columbia, in connection with a burglary that occurred early Tuesday... More >>
23 hours ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 2:08:00 PM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — The Boone County Commission approved $1.8 million in federal coronavirus relief money (CARES Act) for the health department... More >>
23 hours ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:54:00 PM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
As COVID-19 continues to spread, KOMU 8 will continue to update you about impacts in the community. You... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:08:00 AM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Water supply district number 1 is under a precautionary boil advisory because of low water pressure. There... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:04:04 AM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
Editor's note: This op-ed is a collaboration between the mental health doctors in the United States from the National Network... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:39:57 AM CDT August 12, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
COLUMBIA - After school programs have to make adjustments because of the Columbia school board’s vote to delay the start... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, August 12 2020 Aug 12, 2020 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:31:00 AM CDT August 12, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A Monday crash in Jefferson City damaged three parked vehicles and injured the driver. Curtis Murrell... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 8:18:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - KOMU 8 confirmed on the scene of the incident a man was shot on Tuesday at the Columbia... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 7:22:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia mayor Brian Treece called on college students to make smart choices when returning to campus. "I... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 4:58:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Mizzou superfan Brian Garner has accumulated hundreds of coaches and players' signatures on his prosthetic leg. He hasn't... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 4:45:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News
WASHINGTON, D.C.: The news conference is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m., according to Trump. More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 4:26:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Public school administrators discussed, Tuesday afternoon, the district's reopening plans, as student prepare for the start of... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 4:16:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — In a new briefing Tuesday afternoon, Columbia police asked the public for information on two separate early-morning incidents.... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 3:53:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The parking lot at Tolton Catholic High School will fill up two weeks before Columbia Public Schools. ... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, August 11 2020 Aug 11, 2020 Tuesday, August 11, 2020 3:49:00 PM CDT August 11, 2020 in News