Former NFL Players open business in Columbia

2 years 10 months 4 days ago Saturday, May 27 2017 May 27, 2017 Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:06:00 PM CDT May 27, 2017 in Sports
By: Jasmyn Willis, KOMU 8 News Reporter

COLUMBIA - A new business pushes its clients to their limit and has them sweating bullets.

Two former NFL players and Mizzou football players Jerrell Jackson and Micheal Egnew opened Athletics Performance Institute last week.

The gym is an addition to the All-Star Performance Institute. API has cheer and tumbling, sports performance training, adult training and boot camps.

Clients worked out at API's second boot camp Saturday in their new location. API has individual and group sessions.

Jackson said when he played in the NFL he learned importance physical training.

“I was blessed to be able to get a full scholarship at Mizzou,” Jackson said. “Once I graduated, I made it to the NFL, played three years in the NFL and I understood that as an athlete your body was your biggest investment. Which means you really have to put your body through some stress in order for you to reach those goals.”

Jackson said he focuses on providing his clients with the tools, and motivation to stay committed.

“Being in this position and knowing I’m inspiring others, motivating others, man it’s just like an ultimate goal of mine," Jackson said. "I just feel blessed.”

Jackson said he grew up in a poor neighborhood and he continues to push himself because others look up to him.

“I’m still pushing to be great,” Jackson said. “People in my neighborhood see that. They always hit me up, they always contact me and say 'bro we so proud of you man. Keep it up you inspiring everybody to be great.' And that’s what it means as a minority that the same kid that grew up in that neighborhood made it out.”

Jackson said he’s blessed, but anyone can accomplish their goal with hard work and staying committed.

“Just inspiring people in my similar situation,” Jackson said. “And letting people know that it don’t matter who you are, where you started, who your family is, if you started with a million dollars or what you know. You can make it, you just have to work hard and be persistent.”

Jackson said he trains a wide variety of clients.

“Right now I have a kid that’s 12-years-old and I have a lady that’s 57-years-old,” Jackson said “It’s so broad. It’s men, women, short, tall, young, old.”

API client, Catherine Miller said API is for everyone regardless of where you are in your fitness journey.

“It didn’t matter what size, shape, where you were in your journey,” Miller said. “If you’ve never exercised, if your just coming back. Everyone wants to see you succeed. And that’s like the best atmosphere to be in.”

Miller said she rearranges her schedule to make it to workout classes.

“I hate missing class,” Miller said. “Like I hate missing class and if I know I have a meeting for work that I have to go to so I’m like hey can I trade classes and like come in the morning which is tough for me. It’s like a 5:30 class, and I’m not even a morning person but I’m willing to get up and come at 5:30 in the morning because I don’t want to miss those workouts.”

Miller said seeing her transformation has been worthwhile and caused her to invite her friends.

“You want to have your friends who have been struggling, like 'hey why don’t you come with me? Like I know a place that you can become success at.' So I’m all about telling my friends, bringing folks here because I wanted them to be successful like I’ve been.”

Client Kelly Holtkamp has been working out with Jackson since last fall. Holtkamp said she's seen major changes and encourages others to join.

“I’ve lost 6 inches in my stomach which is critical,” Holtkamp said.  “And just give it a try, I’ve been going to gyms and working out all my life and I’ve never experienced the enthusiasm and the support as genuinely as this.”

Another client Victoria Thompson said working with supportive people, like Jackson and the API staff, has made the difference.

“He just cares about you and your progress so much that you don’t have any other option but to be great," Thompson said.

Jackson said opening a business would not have been possible without the support of his co-owner Micheal Egnew, All-Star Performance Institute owner Melissa Wilhite and head trainer Jordan Brewer.

COLUMBIA - As the weather gets warmer and plants continue to bloom, season allergies will become more of an issue... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, April 01 2020 Apr 1, 2020 Wednesday, April 01, 2020 5:51:00 AM CDT April 01, 2020 in News
In this COVID-19 town hall, KOMU 8's Emily Spain talks with Graham McCaulley about how the ongoing pandemic has affected... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:42:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - For Scott Denson, music is his escape from reality. And, during this global pandemic he knew he wasn't... More >>
9 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 9:38:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Former Kansas City Council woman Alissia Canady is running as a Democrat for Missouri lieutenant... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:57:41 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Missouri Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that a 2018 law banning public union workers... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:09:59 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Governor Mike Parson held his daily COVID-19 press conference Tuesday afternoon. At the press conference, he... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 4:05:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - A Columbia teen is leading the charge to make face shields for healthcare workers as the nation is... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 4:01:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
If you are feeling anxious about COVID-19, you're not alone. A new survey from the American Psychiatric Association reveals more... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:58:38 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
COLUMBIA — As state and commercial testing is more available for the Missourians, the number of confirmed cases is rising.... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 2:00:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- State lawmakers were originally scheduled to be back at the capitol Jefferson City this week after their spring... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:57:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - This is the first week Columbia Public Schools is delivering meals for students as school is held at... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:50:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
DC —Senators Roy Blunt and Josh Hawley joined a bipartisan group of 121 members of Congress in sending a letter... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:15:00 PM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
In this COVID-19 town hall, KOMU 8's Emily Spain talks with Andrew Zumwalt about the stock market's roller coaster ride... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:34:00 AM CDT March 31, 2020 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA — The University of Missouri Police Department hasn't received any reports of scams related to COVID-19, yet. But in... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:30:31 AM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — Lakota Coffee was broken into Monday night, according to a Facebook post by the company. "We... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:39:00 AM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
As COVID-19 spreads, KOMU 8 will continue to update you about the impacts on the community. KOMU 8 News... More >>
22 hours ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 9:17:00 AM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - On March 1, daily life in Columbia looked a lot different than it does today. People were... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, March 31 2020 Mar 31, 2020 Tuesday, March 31, 2020 4:00:00 AM CDT March 31, 2020 in News
TROY (AP) — An eastern Missouri sheriff's department has reached a $2 million settlement with a man who spent more... More >>
1 day ago Monday, March 30 2020 Mar 30, 2020 Monday, March 30, 2020 8:23:00 PM CDT March 30, 2020 in News