Heart patient says he owes his life to two bystanders in car dealership

10 months 3 weeks 1 day ago Wednesday, March 06 2019 Mar 6, 2019 Wednesday, March 06, 2019 2:09:00 PM CST March 06, 2019 in News
By: David Estrada, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA - After finishing work on Feb. 23, Michael Morrow, a mechanic at BMW of Columbia, was getting ready to buy a car at the dealership.

After signing the papers, shortly after 4 p.m., Morrow collapsed on the floor.

"The only thing I can even remember remotely is walking out of one of the offices I talked to about buying a vehicle," he said. "I don't remember that day, or the days before, or the week before that really, to be honest with you."

Michael Pyle and his wife were at the dealership looking for a van for their family. They had just gotten back from a test drive. Pyle excused himself to use the restroom and, when he was done, it happened.

"Mike, the employee of BMW, just collapsed and landed on the guy that he was talking to," Pyle said.

At that moment, Pyle said, he didn't hesitate to start performing CPR.

"If you don't step up and you're just a bystander, and you sit back and you don't do anything, it's going to affect you endurably, I'm telling you," he said.

Pyle said he couldn't leave it to someone else to help.

"If you don't jump in to act right away, that person that could be using, that could be needing your help doesn't get your help," he said.

While Pyle performed chest compressions, Curtis Jahr, a client advisor at the dealership, provided mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to Morrow.

"I saw Mike stumble into the I8 and bump into another sales associate, Bob," he said. "I ran over to try to catch him before he hit the ground and then he started going to seizure-type of actions."

Jahr said he was just trying to do something to help his coworker.

"My mom had seizures a lot when I was younger, so I know first thing is to make sure that they don't swallow their tongue if they're going into a seizure," he said. "I was making sure of that, but then he kind of turned over and was convulsing a little bit and clinching, so I was just trying to comfort more than anything."

Pyle said he and Jahr fell into a rhythm.

"We worked together just instantly, like we knew each other forever," he said.

Pyle said he first learned how to perform CPR was when he was about 15 years old and worked as a lifeguard in Texas.

"When I was a correctional officer, that's when I actually was actually able to use CPR on certain individuals that needed it," Pyle said. "I definitely wasn't expecting it when I learned it. At first, I'd never use this, I'd never be in a situation when this happen. As I say that, things just snapped off at the job that I was at. A couple of years ago, I was in California and the same situation happened, just not as extreme."

Dr. Amir Batman with Boone Hospital said CPR improves survival in cases of heart failure.

"Patients who suffer sudden cardiac arrest and who receive chest compressions, what we called a 'witnessed arrest,' their survival is double and sometimes triple what it'd have been otherwise," he said.

Morrow was recovering at Boone Hospital and is expected to be released by the end of the week.

He said he is looking forward to going back to work.

"I enjoy working on cars, that's one of the only things I've ever done in my life that I really enjoy because it feels like an accomplishment," Morrow said. "It feels like I get something done when I diagnose what's wrong with a car, get the parts, fix it and it fixes the car. Start it up, get it out of the door and run to the next vehicle."

Despite what he went through, Morrow is going through the recovery process with a smile on his face.

"I love my wife, I love my kids, I love my family and friends, everything like that," he said. "I'm a happy person all the way around, no matter what."

Morrow said words can't describe how grateful he is for Jahr and Pyle.

"If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be here today, in the first place," he said. "I owe my life to both of them, no matter what. In every aspect of life, they will always be a part of me, no matter what. I owe them everything."

Jahr said he thinks God has a plan for Morrow.

"I mean a lot of people, you know, go through something like that and they don't live to talk about it. I think, what he went through, I think if anyone, I mean that he's got a plan and a purpose and I'm happy for him and his family," he said.

Pyle offered these thoughts to the man he helped save:

"In the future, things are just going to be even better because we have a connection now that nobody else can unbear," he told Morrow. "You're a great guy, that's all I hear about you, and your family loves you so much, and I'm just glad that you're able to see them everyday now."

JEFFERSON CITY - Fire crews were dispatched to a residential structure fire in the 1000 Block of Laurel Drive on... More >>
5 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:19:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Kobe Bryant’s death shocked the nation and left many fans devastated. While mid-Missouri may be halfway across... More >>
6 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:24:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Police officers were dispatched to a report of an armed robbery at Domino’s Pizza, I-70 Drive Southwest, Sunday... More >>
6 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 8:56:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
CALLAWAY COUNTY - A judge sentenced a Fulton man to 17 years in prison last week after he admitted to... More >>
10 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:59:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - A bill that would allow parents to record meetings with their child's educators is moving forward in... More >>
11 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:42:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Police are investigating a shooting between two cars, which started at a roundabout on Business Loop 70 Sunday... More >>
12 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 3:07:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
CALABASAS, Calif. - NBC reports Kobe Bryant and daughter Gianna are among nine people who died in a helicopter crash... More >>
13 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:22:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Even though he grew up in Kentucky, Braden Tyrer is as big a Chiefs fan as they come.... More >>
13 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:21:00 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — A former southwestern Missouri fire chief convicted last year of raping a young woman has been... More >>
14 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 1:30:17 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Health officials in Los Angeles County have confirmed a fourth U.S. case of the new pneumonia-like... More >>
14 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 1:24:49 PM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The City of Columbia, Voluntary Action Center (VAC), and the Downtown Optimist Club are putting on their annual... More >>
16 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:31:00 AM CST January 26, 2020 in Continuous News
KINGDOM CITY— A Callaway County Sheriff's Office deputy found a stole firearm, numerous "felony level controlled substances" and drug paraphernalia... More >>
16 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:50:00 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Abortion is expected to play a key role in Missouri's 2020 governor’s race, when voters... More >>
17 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:21:45 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
BENTON COUNTY — A Blue Springs, Missouri woman is dead after a crash Saturday night. Andralee Taylor, 32, was... More >>
18 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:20:01 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Boone County will celebrate its bicentennial in 2020, and one of the first efforts to create a... More >>
18 hours ago Sunday, January 26 2020 Jan 26, 2020 Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:01:00 AM CST January 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA- Singing, dancing, and speaking were all part of The Cultural Association of India's annual India Day celebration Saturday afternoon.... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 5:05:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA— Officers with the University of Missouri Police Department arrested John T. McLiney, 19, on one count of... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:00:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The Choral Arts Alliance of Missouri is holding its 5th Annual Unity Concert. The goal of the event... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, January 25 2020 Jan 25, 2020 Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:53:00 PM CST January 25, 2020 in News