Hickman Football plays first home game without Arnel Monroe

3 years 3 months 1 week ago Monday, August 29 2016 Aug 29, 2016 Monday, August 29, 2016 6:46:00 PM CDT August 29, 2016 in Sports
By: Tyler Murry, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA - The sights and sounds of high school football are all back for the Hickman Kewpies, but one thing is missing.

Friday marked the first game the Kewpies have played on home turf since the passing of previous Head Coach Arnel Monroe.

After hearing the news, Hickman Wide Receiver Shawndarrius Roland said, "The low point for me was it was probably a two-week period where I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't sleep at night. I found myself just thinking what is this season going to be like without him. It's not going to be the same."

Linebacker Airin Rolley also said the summer after hearing what happened was not easy.

"I mean I would go on walks and wouldn't talk to anyone, because it would hurt me, and I didn't know how to take it," Rolley said.

Monroe suffered a heart attack on June 5th and died at the age of 49.

Roland said, "I'm going to miss his jokes, his comments everything he said."

Hickman Running Back Cameron Chick said, "He's like a father to me. I mean ever since I stepped on the field at Hickman grounds he's been like a dad to me."

Chick's father coaches baseball as well, so Chick says he and Monroe knew each other long before high school thanks to both families sharing a love for sports.

"He always wanted to know what was going on in my life. This year I ended up committing to play baseball. He was a big father figure in that. I'm going to Nebraska, and he wanted to know the weekend that he died how it all went. I wasn't able to tell him," Chick said.

Monroe played football for four years at Hickman before attending Central Missouri. He began coaching as an assistant at Hickman in 1995 before being named defensive coordinator in 2006. The role came full circle when Monroe became the head coach for Hickman in the spring of 2011.

In Monroe's second season as head coach, he led the Kewpies to a 9-2 season while finishing 18-33 in five years at the helm.

"I was in Kansas City playing baseball at the time. I didn't get the phone call. My parents did. It was right after a game we won, and I was all happy about winning. Then I walked over and saw my parents, and they were crying, and I was confused, because I didn't know what happened. When he broke the news to me, I immediately broke down and started crying. I didn't know what to do, because I didn't know if it was real or not," Chick said.

The tragedy became reality as the team took the field Friday night on August 26.

Fans remembered Monroe with shirts reading, "Once a Kewpie Always a Kewpie." Before the game, the public address announcer read words honoring Monroe, and there was a moment of silence.

Airin Rolley's mother, Michelle Rolley, said she had a special connection to Monroe and felt pride hearing the words for Monroe.

"It means a lot to us that knew him on a personal level, a professional level. It means a lot to his family. His daughters have really appreciated all the support," Michelle said.

Michelle Rolley had another son who played for Monroe and said her sons wouldn't be who they are without him.

"My sons have known him all their lives. He was actually a friend of mine for over 23 years and a friend of my ex-husband's as well. So, they've grown up around him. They got the chance to play for him, fortunately, while he was still here. My youngest son and Arnel had a very close relationship, and it's been hard to come back from that," Michelle said.

The Kewpies kept the game close early only trailing 8-0 after the first quarter, but Webster Groves proved to be too much running away with it 40-6.

First-year head coach Devin Brown said they didn't get the result they wanted, but he's proud of his kids.

"The kids kept it inside, so they don't get emotional about it, because we've got to come out and play a football game. They didn't let up, so we've got to play football," Brown said.

Brown said he has big shoes to fill in order to live up to Monroe's legacy.

The players left the field dejected and some with tears on their faces.

Chick said, "I just feel like we let him down I guess, because he wouldn't want us to go out like that."

Despite the loss, Chick and other members of the team say it'll be special when they finally get their first win for Monroe.

JEFFERSON CITY - Property owners of two buildings in the heart of Jefferson City are facing a deadline to either... More >>
10 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 6:39:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Board of Education voted on a new student seclusion, isolation and restraint policy at its meeting... More >>
12 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 4:09:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - Authorities say a mid-Missouri couple is jailed after being charged with repeatedly locking a 9-year-old boy... More >>
13 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 3:44:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Five professors from the University of Missouri School of Law signed an open letter stating that President Donald... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 2:30:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Neapolitan pizza restaurant MidiCi closed its doors for good on Sunday after roughly 3 years in Columbia. ... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 2:14:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The number of people who are homeless in Missouri has decreased for five straight years: 2014-2018. ... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 2:13:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Missouri's health department has so far received three reports of flu-associated deaths as peak flu season begins. ... More >>
16 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 12:00:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
MEXICO - Similar to veterans homes across the nation, Missouri veterans homes are suffering from a shortage of staffing. ... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 9:59:00 AM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Starting Monday, the City of Columbia Municipal Court will offer a period of warrant amnesty. There will... More >>
1 day ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 3:30:00 AM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — The Moberly Police Department arrested a suspect accused of robbing a gas station at gun-point Saturday evening. ... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 9:50:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Tigers have found their new head football coach. Eli Drinkwitz from Appalachian State will lead... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 6:47:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
TIPTON - Neighbors are reacting after authorities said Bobby Joe Moore, 43, of Sedalia, shot his ex-girlfriends' mother and hit... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 6:01:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
LAKE OF THE OZARKS - Restaurant owners are heading into the holiday season ready to handle the winter customers and... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 3:43:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in Continuous News
FULTON — Community members can gather at the Field of Joy in Fulton’s Veteran's Park to remember departed loved ones... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 2:13:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Singing pine trees and dancing blue penguins are now lighting up the night throughout Binder Park in... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 8:00:00 AM CST December 08, 2019 in News
AUXVASSE - A suspect has been taken into custody in Auxvasse on Saturday in relation to a shots fired incident... More >>
2 days ago Saturday, December 07 2019 Dec 7, 2019 Saturday, December 07, 2019 9:19:00 PM CST December 07, 2019 in News
FULTON - The 71st annual Christmas parade took over the streets of Fulton on Saturday afternoon. This year's theme... More >>
2 days ago Saturday, December 07 2019 Dec 7, 2019 Saturday, December 07, 2019 3:40:00 PM CST December 07, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Road signs honoring five Boone County veterans killed in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan were revealed Saturday. ... More >>
2 days ago Saturday, December 07 2019 Dec 7, 2019 Saturday, December 07, 2019 3:36:00 PM CST December 07, 2019 in News