Iraqi native training at Fort Leonard Wood

4 years 2 months 1 week ago Thursday, August 07 2014 Aug 7, 2014 Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:23:00 PM CDT August 07, 2014 in News
By: Shannon O'Brien, KOMU 8 Reporter

FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo - After almost fifteen years in Iraq, Pvt. Mari Hamid moved to the United States and is now a soldier in the U.S. Army.

Hamid said she moved to Syria with her mother and sister when Iraq became "really bad". They moved to the states, with help from the United Nations, two months shy of her 15th birthday.

Hamid is in Advanced Individual Training at Fort Leonard Wood to become a transportation specialist.

The sounds of gun shots are all too familiar with 20-year-old Hamid. She grew up with her family in Iraq hearing shots and seeing the presence of the U.S. military.

With memories still vivid in her head, Hamid said she had difficulties shooting guns at the beginning of her training.

"I thought I forgot about it, but when I came to basic and I heard the first gunshot the M-240 Bravo I froze there," Hamid said. "I felt like I was back in Iraq again, and all I thought about was my mom and how scared I was of losing her when I was in Iraq."

She said it was hard to hear the gun shots, which made it hard to shoot. After seven weeks of practice she said she got over her fear.

Hamid said her drill sergeant, Staff Sgt. Nicholas Thompson, stood by her with encouragement and directed her to Fort Leonard Wood's chaplain for extra help coping with memory of gun shots from her childhood.

"Hopefully by the time I get deployed it gets even better and I don't have to deal with it," Hamid said. "But if my battle buddy's lives are on the line, I don't care if gun fire scares me I'm going to fire every round I have to get that battle out of there."

Hamid said she owes a lot to Thompson because he would never let her quit.

"A lot of time he told me that I'm meant to be here, like a lot of other people would say you wanna go? Just go," Hamid said. "But he actually took the time and showed me why I'm meant to be here and showed me how much I can do."

She said he also helped her qualify in the shooting portion of basic.

"I was on his lane the day I qualified," Hamid said.

She said the hardest part about training is not the fact that she is from Iraq. She said, with a smile, it's the heat at Fort Leonard Wood.

The process of becoming a U.S. soldier, she said, has been easier than she thought. Hamid said it was way better than she expected.

"I thought it would be worse, like people talking about me being Iraqi or not trusting me, but here I am," Hamid said. "I have 112 battle buddies in AIT and I don't think I have a problem with any of them."

Staff Sgt. Bryan Castellano said he thinks members of Hamid's platoon treat her the same as everyone else.

"A lot of the soldiers, you know, I think are curious and go to ask her about how it is," Castellano said. "Some of them, you know, that have never left home are kind of, you know, they hear Iraq and think that everybody's a terrorist or what not, but then when they come across a soldier who's from Iraq and they get educated and just learn in another culture other from what they're used to, it widens up their horizons."

Castellano also said Hamid has an advantage over other soldiers.

"Being her background from being in Iraq, it'll serve her a lot better," Castellano said. "The other soldiers don't know what to except. With her being from the area, you know, she'll be able to speak their language not only in Iraq but Afghanistan she'll be able to pick up some of the language even though there's different languages in Afghanistan. She'd be well off, better than the others."

Hamid said her mom was not supportive with her choice in the beginning, but she said the idea has grown on her.

She said she plans to head back to her home state of Massachusetts where she is in the National Guard.

HERMANN - One person was killed in a crash involving a trolley, the Missouri State Highway Patrol said. Sgt.... More >>
4 hours ago Saturday, October 20 2018 Oct 20, 2018 Saturday, October 20, 2018 6:16:00 PM CDT October 20, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- President Donald Trump announced Saturday that the US is pulling out of the landmark Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty... More >>
6 hours ago Saturday, October 20 2018 Oct 20, 2018 Saturday, October 20, 2018 5:11:00 PM CDT October 20, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA – Nineteen members of Missouri Task Force One returned to Boone County Fire Protection District headquarters Saturday morning after... More >>
7 hours ago Saturday, October 20 2018 Oct 20, 2018 Saturday, October 20, 2018 3:16:00 PM CDT October 20, 2018 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A man has been criminally charged days after a woman's body was found near Fellows Lake at... More >>
9 hours ago Saturday, October 20 2018 Oct 20, 2018 Saturday, October 20, 2018 1:58:08 PM CDT October 20, 2018 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A Springfield woman who killed her live-in boyfriend with a crowbar in 2017 has been sentenced to... More >>
9 hours ago Saturday, October 20 2018 Oct 20, 2018 Saturday, October 20, 2018 1:48:36 PM CDT October 20, 2018 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A restored St. Louis prairie of native grasses and flowers is in bloom, but the nature... More >>
14 hours ago Saturday, October 20 2018 Oct 20, 2018 Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:50:24 AM CDT October 20, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Sen. Claire McCaskill spoke about health care in Columbia on Friday at Laborers Local 955, as part of... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 7:35:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - After realizing the underrepresentation of Hispanic business owners in mid-Missouri, three Hispanic professionals established a group of 12... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 5:49:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - This is the last week of the regular season and it's a cold one. Our game of... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 5:20:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in Friday Night Fever
COLUMBIA - Two Midwest companies issued separate food recalls this week for bacterial contamination concerns. Hy-Vee said its supplier,... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 4:53:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
CAMDEN (AP) — Toxicology tests show that a boater was drunk when he slammed into a bluff at Missouri's Lake... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 3:41:35 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Legion of Black Collegians and the FourFront Marginalized Student Council held a solidarity walk Friday to show... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 3:39:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Missouri State Medical Association (MSMA), along with multiple medical associations, reaffirmed their opposition to the three... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 2:50:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - For the fourth consecutive year, Project Homeless Connect provided services Friday for people who are experiencing homelessness... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 2:39:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Mega Millions jackpot has soared to an estimated $1 billion, as the second-largest lottery... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 12:10:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Police want the public's help finding a man who allegedly ran from a traffic stop after hurting... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 11:42:00 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Two MU residence halls and an atrium were officially dedicated on Friday honoring three former MU students. Lucile... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 10:09:00 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
WASHINGTON (AP) — Just 1 in 4 people thinks Brett Kavanaugh was completely honest when as a Supreme Court nominee... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 9:58:13 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News