Jess' story: Student who was "drowning" in depression shares recovery story

2 years 4 months 3 weeks ago Monday, September 25 2017 Sep 25, 2017 Monday, September 25, 2017 11:31:00 AM CDT September 25, 2017 in News
By: Daytona Everett, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA – Jess Soehlke is like many college students: involved on campus, surrounded by friends, active in Greek life.

But earlier this year was another story. Beneath the surface, she was "drowning" in mental health issues.

“For most of my life, I’ve actually struggled with anxiety and depression,” she said. “But I never really got any help for it or anything like that until I was in high school.”

Professional therapy helped her for a little while, she said, until she went to college.

“This past year I kind of took a downfall a little bit with anxiety and depression,” Soehlke said about her junior year. “It became a lot for me to handle.”

She was having panic attacks four to five times a week making it impossible to lead a normal life, she said.

“I was very much against myself as a person,” she said.

Thoughts like “you’re worthless” and “nobody wants you here” and “you would be better off if you were dead” constantly ran through her head, she said.

“On July 25th, actually, I ended up self-harming myself and cutting myself and also had the intention of wanting to take my own life,” she said.

That day she was admitted to the MU Psychiatric Center. Two anxiety-filled days dragged by.

“I was alone and kind of had to do a lot of thinking on my own and there was a lot of crying,” she said. “I felt like there was no way out and it was scary, but I did, moving on from there, realize this isn’t for me.”

After some rough realizations and a new motivation for life, Soehlke decided to spend her final year of college back at the University of Missouri.

“I take it day by day,” she said about her mental state. “It’s still very hard to process that I was at a point where I didn’t want to be on this planet anymore.”

Parker Donovan shares an apartment with Soehlke and said the situation was hard for everyone.

"She's my friend and everything. I love her. She's my roommate," he said. "But it's something she also sees me struggle with everyday. So it's kind of a two way street.

The two help each other fight the hardships of mental illness.

Soehlke is now a member at the Counseling Center Advisory Board at the University of Missouri to help other people who suffer from anxiety and depression.

“The more I share, the better I feel,” she said.

Through public speaking, a blog, and her new position at the center, Soehlke found a new purpose.

A tattoo on her left wrist reads “Courage over fear.” It covers the place where she self-harmed.

This year, Soehlke uses her past experiences as leverage to "swim to the surface" in her battle.

“Essentially that’s everyday,” she said. “That’s what I’m trying to do is come up from under the water.”

The MU Counseling Center recently hosted its 6th Annual Take Action Carnival where Soehlke participated in the dunk tank. Her friends and roommates showed up to show support and dunk her several times.

The MU Counseling Center website has information on coping with mental illness. Anyone struggling with thoughts of suicide can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

JEFFERSON CITY - Leonard Jerome Wilson, 41, a former Camden County Sheriff's deputy, was sentenced to 8 years of federal... More >>
1 hour ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:47:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - A man is in police custody after officials say he stole an ambulance, Thursday. Officials took 40-year-old... More >>
1 hour ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:27:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A Jefferson City man was arrested on Thursday afternoon at approximately 2:28 p.m. at the grocery store,... More >>
1 hour ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:22:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
MOBERLY - People in Moberly are excited about the announcement Plumrose USA made Tuesday. The company is set to bring... More >>
2 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:00:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Firefighters are more likely to die by suicide, than in the line of duty, according to a... More >>
2 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:48:57 PM CST February 20, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
JEFFERSON CITY - A Columbia man was sentenced in federal court today for illegally possessing a firearm. Samuel Ernest... More >>
2 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:29:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
A new report shows "active shooter drills" might be doing more harm than good. Today, 95% of schools participate in... More >>
2 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:11:55 PM CST February 20, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
COLUMBIA - Local police responded to a "shots fired" call Wednesday at approximately 10:33 p.m. at the 100 block of... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:03:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Investigators believe Joseph Elledge strangled or suffocated his wife and disposed of her body in a... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 2:51:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri Senate has passed legislation that would provide a tax incentive to save money... More >>
4 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 1:56:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Joseph Elledge, the husband of missing Columbia woman Mengqi Ji, has been charged with first-degree murder, according... More >>
7 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:00:00 AM CST February 20, 2020 in News
ASHLAND - A lawsuit against Ashland Mayor, Gene Rhorer, brought up instances of Rhorer asking Police Chief Lyn Woolford to... More >>
8 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:09:00 AM CST February 20, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Multiple law enforcement agencies have been conducting an investigation on scene in west Columbia. Public Information... More >>
12 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:06:00 AM CST February 20, 2020 in News
LAS VEGAS — The latest on the 2020 presidential campaign and Democratic debate 6 p.m. Six Democratic... More >>
22 hours ago Wednesday, February 19 2020 Feb 19, 2020 Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:07:00 PM CST February 19, 2020 in News
SPRINGFIELD- A retired Catholic priest has been charged in Missouri with multiple counts of child sexual abuse stemming from... More >>
22 hours ago Wednesday, February 19 2020 Feb 19, 2020 Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:54:00 PM CST February 19, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - While the snow disappears with warmer weather, potholes are opening in roads around mid-Missouri. Street division employees... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, February 19 2020 Feb 19, 2020 Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:43:00 PM CST February 19, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A U.S. Army Veteran is passing through Jefferson City on Thursday as part of his effort to... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, February 19 2020 Feb 19, 2020 Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:37:00 PM CST February 19, 2020 in News
ASHLAND - After the Landmark Bank and Simmons First National merger on February 18, residents in Ashland are seeing some... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, February 19 2020 Feb 19, 2020 Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:16:00 PM CST February 19, 2020 in News