MANCAO HFR (APPROVED, DON'T POST UNTIL STORY AIRS) - High School Seniors Prep To Graduate

8 years 4 months 5 days ago Friday, December 17 2010 Dec 17, 2010 Friday, December 17, 2010 3:55:36 PM CST December 17, 2010 in News

FULTON - Math, chemistry, and history: all subjects high school students are required to learn before they get to the graduation finish line.

For Fulton High School student Denzel Weaver, the end of the race is on the horizon. However if you would have asked Weaver’s mom a year ago if she thought he would graduate, her answer might surprise you.

“I thought he was going to drop out and be through,” Ida Speaks said.

That’s because a year ago Weaver was a Fulton Academy student, not a Fulton High School student.  Fulton Academy was an alternative school that gave at risk students and student   Last spring, the Fulton School Board closed it due to dire budget cuts.  Although Weaver knew he wanted to continue his education, he was apprehensive.

“I had originally, just like I am now, planned on coming back to the high school... I can’t go a full year here at the high school cause I’m right now already struggling with the high school environment again and I can’t.  I don’t like it because of all the bullying and stuff I have to deal with here,” Weaver said.

But despite the struggles, Weaver managed to get his grades back on track.

“Honestly with all the pressure I got on me, I try to study as much as I can.  I usually try to do it after I get out of school and once I go home.  I try to study my butt off,” Weaver said about his new study habits.

The closure of the Academy left the future of its 25 students in the air, but Fulton High School principal Teri Arms believes the students who came back to the high school adjusted well.

“I think for the most part, they’re doing well.  They’ve assimilated back well.  I’m a firm believer you get out of something what you put into it.  And I think for the most part the students have realized it’s not anything that they did or we did to the program.  It was a necessity at the time budget wise,” Arms said.

Of the 25 students, three have graduated, six are attending classes at Fulton High School, six are working on their GEDs, and one is enrolling back into the school.  Three of the students have transferred, one got their GED separate from the high school, one’s status is unknown and four have dropped out, meaning they quit school.

Communications coordinator for the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Michele Clark, says those who decide to dropout have a rough future.

“Many studies have shown that students who do not complete their high school diplomas really have a tough battle facing them in the future.  Whether it’s criminal activity or poverty, health issues-- it really sets someone up for not a bright future,” Clark said.

Clark says high schools can be instrumental in helping a student stay in school through alternative programs.

“What a lot of the schools do is try to find ways to help connect with the student and help them see the purpose in school, in terms of preparing for their futures.  Understanding what their career goals are can really help a student connect what they’re learning in school and what they can do in the future, Clark said.

Career and technical education programs, service community projects and Missouri Options programs help decrease the numbers of dropouts.

According to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, dropout rates for high school students are lower in 2010 compared to previous years.  In 2009, there were 11,028.  In 2010, 9,953 dropout were recorded in Missouri.

Upon graduation, Weaver hopes to move to Kansas City and pursue a musical career.  Becoming a successful musician is his dream, but making his mom proud is his drive.

“She said that’s the main thing that she wants out of me is for me to walk across that stage because that would make her really happy.   And so that’s why I’m pushing myself so much in school and that’s why I went back to the high school after the alternative school was because I was so close to graduating.  And I want to try to please my mom before I move out of Fulton and work on my music career,” Weaver said.

And that is music to Speaks' ears.

Speaks says, “I’m very proud of him.  And I would love to see him walk across the stage.  I’d love to!”

Weaver is set to finish this semester and graduate in the spring.

COLUMBIA – Several community members joined Columbia Police Interim Chief Geoff Jones and committee panel members Tuesday to discuss racial... More >>
9 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:21:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia's Building Construction Codes Commission approved reconstruction plans for the Columbia Canine Sports Center at a meeting Monday... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:00:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Missouri National Education Association (CMNEA) filed a lawsuit in Boone County alleging Columbia Public Schools violated... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:58:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Beulah Ralph Elementary School has found its new principal. According to a news release from Columbia Public... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:28:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A donation of 7.81 acres of land was given to the Columbia Parks and Recreation department by MBS... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:10:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A Missouri senator described a bill to limit prescription of opioids by dentists as "another tool we... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:40:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Tax preparer H&R Block says its co-founder, Henry Bloch, has died at the age of 96.... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:03:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Nathan Schelp is an 11-year-old with an unknown genetic disorder. On Tuesday, he testified in front of... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:44:00 PM CDT April 23, 2019 in Top Stories
JEFFERSON CITY - A Jefferson City man facing the death penalty for the murder of his ex-lover appealed his sentence... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:48:00 AM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Mayor's Task Force on Climate Action and Adaptation Planning released its draft with top actions for addressing climate... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, April 23 2019 Apr 23, 2019 Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:41:00 AM CDT April 23, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Battle High School senior Taylor Reed is the first girl to go to college as a woman wrestler... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 11:00:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The owner of Arch and Column Pub said if the cases before the Supreme Court fail, it will... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 10:22:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA – Race Matters, Friends is celebrating the one-month anniversary of its bail fund, which covers bonds for some people... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 8:03:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Mayor's Task Force on Climate Action and Adaptation Planning released their draft plan Monday night at the... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 7:46:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - Friends and family gathered Monday to see 87 people become United States citizens. The United States... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 6:21:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
MOBERLY - People in one Moberly neighborhood say they feel safe following someone fired a gun over the weekend. ... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 3:33:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - New census data shows, while Missouri’s population increased slightly last year compared to 2017, more than 52 counties... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 3:08:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News
CLAYTON (AP) — A law enforcement veteran of three decades will take over as interim director of the department that... More >>
1 day ago Monday, April 22 2019 Apr 22, 2019 Monday, April 22, 2019 3:07:00 PM CDT April 22, 2019 in News