Mid-Missouri woman walks to Nashville to chase her dreams

4 years 8 months 3 weeks ago Sunday, June 07 2015 Jun 7, 2015 Sunday, June 07, 2015 12:39:00 PM CDT June 07, 2015 in News
By: Alyssa Casares, KOMU 8 News

PORTLAND- A mid-Missouri woman is walking 509 miles from Marceline, Missouri to Nashville, Tennessee.

Angie Monnig is a mother, aspiring songwriter and breast cancer survivor. She said the idea to walk to Nashville started out as a joke.

"It started out like kind of a joke between me and my sister a while back after I found out I had cancer," Monnig said. "Her and I have always wrote songs together and we were always going to go to Nashville and pursue it. It started out as a joke one day. I was like maybe we can walk to Nashville. It was never even going to happen. It was just a joke."

Monnig said she started to think about life differently after the doctor told her she had cancer.

"One day they tell you you have cancer and you just see things differently," Monnig said. "You think, 'Oh I may not have every day to do this.'"

Monnig said several months later her dream started to become a reality.

"I was laying in bed one night and it was just like all the stuff started coming to me and I just felt like something was telling me I should do this," Monnig said.

She said it took a lot of courage to make the decision to walk more than 500 miles.

"I was afraid people would think I was nuts from the beginning," Monnig said.

Monnig wrote a letter about her journey and then asked her friend Amanda Quinn to read it.

"She came over and she had this letter written up," Quinn said. "She sat down at my kitchen table and was like, 'I need you to read this.' It was her story that's on Facebook. I read it and started crying."

In the letter Monnig wrote, "I'm walking because I've never done something like this and I want the adventure. I'm walking for everyone who is fighting cancer and for everyone that has lost their battle with it. I'm walking for the exercise and to see a different view of the road. I'm walking to spend quality time with my son on a journey that we will never forget. But most of all, I'm walking in hopes to prove that a dream can come true if you want it bad enough and that you can overcome any obstacle in life if you believe in yourself and set your mind to it."

Monnig asked Quinn and another friend, Maggie Lockwood, to join her on the journey.

"[I] said of course I will do this with you," Quinn said. "How do you tell somebody somebody no when your friend asks you 'I have a dream I want to do this. It's crazy but I want you to go with me?'"

Quinn helped Monnig figure out the path she would take one week before the trip started.

"I'm walking the second and fourth weeks of June with Angie," Quinn said. "And I also helped her plan out the route over Memorial Day weekend. We drove from Marceline down to Nashville. We got to Nashville around 1:30 in the morning, and then the next morning we turned around and drove back. We wanted to make sure we drove the roads and make sure they were safe and that it was doable."

One week after the trip, Monnig and her friends started walking.

"I walked the whole first week and then I'll come back the third week," Lockwood said. "And then I'll go back a couple of days and finish with her."

Lockwood said the they got rained on a couple of times, but made good time the first week.

"We were determined," Lockwood said. "We were like, we are going to get there as fast as we can so we can get out of the rain."

Lockwood said after a day of walking, their bodies were sore.

"By the end of it our legs are pretty much nothing," Lockwood said. "Everything hurts."

Lockwood said the walk started on the highway.

"Now we are on the Katy Trail," Lockwood said. "So it's just, it's nice. There's no hills. It's a straight path, so that's been really great and shaded."

Monnig said her brother, another friend, her aunt and uncle have also helped her along the way. They take turns driving a camper to meet the walkers at the end of their day. Quinn said their goal is to walk an average of 20 miles a day.

"Some days are 17 or 18 miles, some days are 23," Quinn said. "So the longer days we try to leave earlier and it's about eight or nine hours of walking."

Monnig said she hopes someone from the music industry will reach out to her when she gets to Tennessee.

"Maybe something good will come out of it," Monnig said. "And if not, it'll at least be a great adventure."

Monnig and her friends expect to arrive in Nashville June 25.

(CNN) -- Children's lives may not be as hard as adults' lives, but sometimes their moodiness and sadness are more... More >>
37 minutes ago Thursday, February 27 2020 Feb 27, 2020 Thursday, February 27, 2020 2:34:08 PM CST February 27, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
COLUMBIA – Business owners say fears stemming from misinformation about the coronavirus are causing their business to unfairly take a... More >>
1 hour ago Thursday, February 27 2020 Feb 27, 2020 Thursday, February 27, 2020 1:33:00 PM CST February 27, 2020 in News
RUSSELLVILLE - The Cole County Prosecutor and Cole County Sheriff will hold a press conference Thursday afternoon with a break... More >>
2 hours ago Thursday, February 27 2020 Feb 27, 2020 Thursday, February 27, 2020 1:01:00 PM CST February 27, 2020 in News
SEDALIA - Police have identified a suspect in a February 22 shooting that left one man dead. Robert Fox... More >>
4 hours ago Thursday, February 27 2020 Feb 27, 2020 Thursday, February 27, 2020 10:29:00 AM CST February 27, 2020 in News
LAKE OF THE OZARKS - The Missouri State Highway Patrol is asking for assistance in an ongoing sexual assault investigation.... More >>
5 hours ago Thursday, February 27 2020 Feb 27, 2020 Thursday, February 27, 2020 9:52:00 AM CST February 27, 2020 in News
MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. (AP) — Authorities say a part-time janitor has been charged with first-degree murder after shooting and killing... More >>
8 hours ago Thursday, February 27 2020 Feb 27, 2020 Thursday, February 27, 2020 6:13:00 AM CST February 27, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia is a college town full of apartments and townhouses, but it wants to start giving low-income families... More >>
9 hours ago Thursday, February 27 2020 Feb 27, 2020 Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:30:00 AM CST February 27, 2020 in News
(CNN) -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced an investigation into a multi-state E. coli outbreak they believe... More >>
16 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 10:51:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — An FBI agent shot someone inside a central Kansas City apartment building Wednesday but few... More >>
16 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 10:41:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- State lawmakers are considering multiple bills that would legalize sports betting in the State of Missouri. Americans... More >>
19 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 8:10:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - This week state lawmakers are focusing and fighting on bills about the inclusion of the LGTBQ community.... More >>
19 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:53:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
ROCHEPORT - Missouri State Highway Patrol responded to a crash Wednesday morning on the Missouri River Bridge near Rocheport. ... More >>
20 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 6:34:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
MOKANE - Mid-Missourians living near the Missouri River are preparing for another summer of floods. "I hear it's going... More >>
21 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 6:10:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA- The city of Columbia and Boone County are partnering up to get everyone counted in the 2020 US Census.... More >>
22 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 4:24:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - A Boonville woman died after a two car crash on the Missouri River bridge Wednesday morning. Icy... More >>
23 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:36:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The new location will allow the Boys & Girls Club of Columbia to serve 50 more children at... More >>
23 hours ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:16:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
WASHINGTON, D.C (AP) - President Donald Trump is pushing back against criticism that his administration isn't doing enough to meet... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:07:00 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (CNN) - Missouri deer hunters donated nearly 350,000 pounds of venison to food banks and pantries across the... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, February 26 2020 Feb 26, 2020 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:02:33 PM CST February 26, 2020 in News