Mid-Missouri woman walks to Nashville to chase her dreams

4 years 3 months 1 week ago Sunday, June 07 2015 Jun 7, 2015 Sunday, June 07, 2015 12:39:00 PM CDT June 07, 2015 in News
By: Alyssa Casares, KOMU 8 News

PORTLAND- A mid-Missouri woman is walking 509 miles from Marceline, Missouri to Nashville, Tennessee.

Angie Monnig is a mother, aspiring songwriter and breast cancer survivor. She said the idea to walk to Nashville started out as a joke.

"It started out like kind of a joke between me and my sister a while back after I found out I had cancer," Monnig said. "Her and I have always wrote songs together and we were always going to go to Nashville and pursue it. It started out as a joke one day. I was like maybe we can walk to Nashville. It was never even going to happen. It was just a joke."

Monnig said she started to think about life differently after the doctor told her she had cancer.

"One day they tell you you have cancer and you just see things differently," Monnig said. "You think, 'Oh I may not have every day to do this.'"

Monnig said several months later her dream started to become a reality.

"I was laying in bed one night and it was just like all the stuff started coming to me and I just felt like something was telling me I should do this," Monnig said.

She said it took a lot of courage to make the decision to walk more than 500 miles.

"I was afraid people would think I was nuts from the beginning," Monnig said.

Monnig wrote a letter about her journey and then asked her friend Amanda Quinn to read it.

"She came over and she had this letter written up," Quinn said. "She sat down at my kitchen table and was like, 'I need you to read this.' It was her story that's on Facebook. I read it and started crying."

In the letter Monnig wrote, "I'm walking because I've never done something like this and I want the adventure. I'm walking for everyone who is fighting cancer and for everyone that has lost their battle with it. I'm walking for the exercise and to see a different view of the road. I'm walking to spend quality time with my son on a journey that we will never forget. But most of all, I'm walking in hopes to prove that a dream can come true if you want it bad enough and that you can overcome any obstacle in life if you believe in yourself and set your mind to it."

Monnig asked Quinn and another friend, Maggie Lockwood, to join her on the journey.

"[I] said of course I will do this with you," Quinn said. "How do you tell somebody somebody no when your friend asks you 'I have a dream I want to do this. It's crazy but I want you to go with me?'"

Quinn helped Monnig figure out the path she would take one week before the trip started.

"I'm walking the second and fourth weeks of June with Angie," Quinn said. "And I also helped her plan out the route over Memorial Day weekend. We drove from Marceline down to Nashville. We got to Nashville around 1:30 in the morning, and then the next morning we turned around and drove back. We wanted to make sure we drove the roads and make sure they were safe and that it was doable."

One week after the trip, Monnig and her friends started walking.

"I walked the whole first week and then I'll come back the third week," Lockwood said. "And then I'll go back a couple of days and finish with her."

Lockwood said the they got rained on a couple of times, but made good time the first week.

"We were determined," Lockwood said. "We were like, we are going to get there as fast as we can so we can get out of the rain."

Lockwood said after a day of walking, their bodies were sore.

"By the end of it our legs are pretty much nothing," Lockwood said. "Everything hurts."

Lockwood said the walk started on the highway.

"Now we are on the Katy Trail," Lockwood said. "So it's just, it's nice. There's no hills. It's a straight path, so that's been really great and shaded."

Monnig said her brother, another friend, her aunt and uncle have also helped her along the way. They take turns driving a camper to meet the walkers at the end of their day. Quinn said their goal is to walk an average of 20 miles a day.

"Some days are 17 or 18 miles, some days are 23," Quinn said. "So the longer days we try to leave earlier and it's about eight or nine hours of walking."

Monnig said she hopes someone from the music industry will reach out to her when she gets to Tennessee.

"Maybe something good will come out of it," Monnig said. "And if not, it'll at least be a great adventure."

Monnig and her friends expect to arrive in Nashville June 25.

JEFFERSON CITY - Officers have taken a man into custody in relation to a shots fired incident on Sept. 3... More >>
15 hours ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:51:00 PM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Officers responded to reports of a car crashing into a home in the 900 block of Sardonyx... More >>
15 hours ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:45:00 PM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A truck crashed into the Ventura Townhome complex Saturday morning in relation to a domestic assault, according... More >>
20 hours ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:20:00 PM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The 4th annual Tunnel to Towers 5K was held at the Governor's Garden on Saturday. This... More >>
21 hours ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 4:29:00 PM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — The Jefferson City Police Department announced its participation in the National Child Passenger Safety Week enforcement campaign... More >>
22 hours ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:37:00 PM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
NEW LEBANON - For one group, New Lebanon's bicentennial celebration was a unification decades in the making. While researching her... More >>
22 hours ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:07:00 PM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The percentage of successful disability cases aimed at reversing the denial or re-evaluation of benefits... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:37:39 AM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department is investigating two homicides after three people were shot overnight. Officers said they... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, September 14 2019 Sep 14, 2019 Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:04:00 AM CDT September 14, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Below are scores from football games around mid-Missouri. Final scores are in bold. ... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 6:32:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in Friday Night Fever
JEFFERSON CITY - A recent Facebook post showed grass clippings left out in Jefferson City. Many commented on the post... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 6:11:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia police and the city's Solid Waste Department will expand the search area in the Megan Shultz case.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 4:44:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - It's been nine months since Melissa Peskey's death, and the family together with the Missouri State Highway... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 4:15:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – The Missouri Senate unanimously passed HB 1, which will allow the sales proceeds of more than one... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 3:54:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
SEDALIA - A boil water advisory has been expanded in the city of Sedalia. The city is expanding the... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 3:46:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – The Board of Curators at Lincoln University approved a plan Thursday night to rebuild the Dickinson Research... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 3:23:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
COOPER COUNTY - State troopers ended up making a large drug bust after a K9 found methamphetamine during a traffic... More >>
2 days ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 12:46:00 PM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
JOPLIN (AP) — Jasper County authorities say a deputy was shot and a man was later found dead after a... More >>
2 days ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 11:40:08 AM CDT September 13, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Police confirmed a shots fired incident Thursday evening on Currituck Lane. Dispatchers got several shots fired calls... More >>
2 days ago Friday, September 13 2019 Sep 13, 2019 Friday, September 13, 2019 11:36:00 AM CDT September 13, 2019 in News