Missouri Softball Player and 12 Year Old Share Special Bond

4 years 8 months 3 days ago Sunday, April 13 2014 Apr 13, 2014 Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:50:00 PM CDT April 13, 2014 in Tiger Talk
By: Jack Wascher, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA - Emily Crane and Camryn Schaller share similar personalities.

"They're both just very outgoing and goofy, always looking to have a good time," Kari Schaller said.

"It's tough to take Emily serious sometimes because she always joking around, but it definitely helps our team stay loose," Head Coach Ehren Earleywine said.

However, that outgoing personality took a hit March 28th. Emily sprained her MCL going after a fly ball, and immediately she knew something was wrong.

"It was something you never want to happen to you, and I didn't think it was that serious until the doctor told me what was up," Crane said.

Sidelined 2-3 weeks didn't sit too well with the sophomore outfielder, but a day later she met Camryn, who gave her a little surprise.

"They're all lined up and high-fived us and she walks up to me and gives me a TY beannie baby, a tiger and a card that says I hope you get better, can't wait to see you out on the field, love Camryn and my friend Tara, it was such a cute little card and so that whole game, I held the tiger, his name is Oasis, and I was trying to make sure, I wanted her to know I appreciated it and not just showboating, but I wanted her to know I really cared about it, so I was like I'm gonna sit this tiger by me the whole and it did really mean a lot," Crane said.

However, a day later, Crane learned Camry broke her arm in a softball game, which would force her to miss the rest of softball season, and of course Crane wanted to help out her biggest fan by going beyond the call of duty.

The next day, Crane and a number of teammates made a surprise visit to Camryn in the hospital, making Camryn feel like she was in a fantasy.

"I thought I was asleep at first because of the medicine I was on, and I didn't think they were there, I was really surprised," Camryn said.

It was a moment that brought Camryn to a smile and a trip down memory lane for Crane.

"And I just told her, these girls look up to you guys and I just thought that was awesome that they could do that for them and what great role models they are for the girls" Kari Schaller said.

"Growing up, you're that kid who looks up to everybody, and I told myself I always wanted to be like those people. I'm just really happy to see the way that my little tiger helped me through my surgery is keeping a smile on her face because I mean it's tough being a kid and you want to play, I mean I want to play but it's different because they think it's the end of the world, and I'm just happy that I could help in some way," Crane said.

"An incident like that can go such a long way with a young kid, it can touch them for the rest of their life, and I'm proud of her for doing it," Earleywine said.

"Makes me feel like I'm an important part of her life, like I'm really special to the team and stuff," Camryn said.

Crane will return to the playing field in the next week or two with her biggest fan, Camryn cheering from the stands.

COLUMBIA – After a life-threatening accident 17 years ago, a Columbia man is proving you never have to give up... More >>
3 hours ago Sunday, December 16 2018 Dec 16, 2018 Sunday, December 16, 2018 12:46:00 PM CST December 16, 2018 in Sports
COLUMBIA - A University of Missouri assistant football coach was arrested Saturday on a warrant from Miller County after failing... More >>
6 hours ago Sunday, December 16 2018 Dec 16, 2018 Sunday, December 16, 2018 10:12:00 AM CST December 16, 2018 in Sports
FULTON - Two people were arrested on various drug charges Sunday morning. According to a release, Police stopped a... More >>
9 hours ago Sunday, December 16 2018 Dec 16, 2018 Sunday, December 16, 2018 7:08:00 AM CST December 16, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Symphony will play holiday music Sunday for the Symphony of Toys concert. Students in the Missouri... More >>
18 hours ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 9:45:00 PM CST December 15, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - People gathered at Hickman High School on Saturday to celebrate holidays from several cultures. KOPN Community Radio... More >>
19 hours ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 9:10:00 PM CST December 15, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia College had a special moment during the graduation ceremony Saturday to honor a student who died in... More >>
20 hours ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:15:00 PM CST December 15, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Diocese confirmed Saturday three people were added to its list of clergy accused of... More >>
21 hours ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:31:00 PM CST December 15, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia Police made an arrest in connection to Saturday afternoon's shooting in the 3800 block of Aspen Heights... More >>
23 hours ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 4:40:00 PM CST December 15, 2018 in Top Stories
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri State Capitol has recently completed an effort to restore and conserve the building's... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 3:26:00 PM CST December 15, 2018 in News
BOONVILLE - Anyone walking around Boonville might be able to play a game of "I spy" now that painted rocks... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 10:50:00 AM CST December 15, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA- High school football teams from around the state will travel to Memorial Stadium for the next five years to... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 9:41:00 AM CST December 15, 2018 in Sports
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump says Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke , who's facing federal investigations into his travel, political... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:53:00 AM CST December 15, 2018 in News
ASHLAND - The Southern Boone Area YMCA will build a new 15,714 square-foot facility in the next two years, if... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:48:00 AM CST December 15, 2018 in News
ALTON, Ill. (AP) — Authorities are looking for a man who is suspected of fleeing to Missouri after officers shot... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:12:00 AM CST December 15, 2018 in News
PERRYVILLE, Mo. (AP) — A former county official from southeast Missouri already in prison on a conviction of exploiting the... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, December 15 2018 Dec 15, 2018 Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:09:52 AM CST December 15, 2018 in News
NEW BLOOMFIELD - The Holts Summit Police Department has offered to include New Bloomfield in its coverage area for the... More >>
1 day ago Friday, December 14 2018 Dec 14, 2018 Friday, December 14, 2018 9:47:00 PM CST December 14, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- A federal judge in Texas said on Friday that the Affordable Care Act's individual coverage mandate is unconstitutional... More >>
1 day ago Friday, December 14 2018 Dec 14, 2018 Friday, December 14, 2018 8:12:00 PM CST December 14, 2018 in News
WASHINGTON - A new report released Friday ranks Missouri 48th in the nation for tobacco use prevention programs. ... More >>
1 day ago Friday, December 14 2018 Dec 14, 2018 Friday, December 14, 2018 8:08:00 PM CST December 14, 2018 in News