Missouri wrestler J'den Cox battling with new challenge

5 years 1 day 13 hours ago Monday, December 08 2014 Dec 8, 2014 Monday, December 08, 2014 1:35:00 PM CST December 08, 2014 in Mizzou Xtra
By: Andrew Kauffman, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA - Missouri wrestler J'den Cox said he never backs down from a challenge, whether it's on the mat or anywhere else.

"I want to dominate," Cox said.

Mizzou wrestling coach Brian Smith said, "He always wants to be the best on the field or the best on the mat."

Cox's father Mike Cox said, "Whatever obstacles that he has to climb to accomplish his goals, he does that."

Recently, that became harder.

"I just kind of noticed it that I had to keep repeating things to him," Smith said.

"It's pretty much just getting worse. I'm having trouble hearing people in crowded places," Cox said.

His mother, Cathy Cox said, "After meeting with the doctor, it was determined that J'den had lost I think about 35 percent of his hearing in his left ear."

Cox said he began losing his hearing earlier this year, and he and his family still don't know why this is happening.

"I really don't know if it's wrestling related or if it's something else," his mother said.

Cox's father is also deaf in one ear; however, his condition began when he was a child. So far, the doctors have not determined whether or not this is correlated with Cox's hearing loss. There are still lots of unanswered questions.

"Was the hearing loss cause of the blows during wrestling? Is the hearing loss something that's just occurring naturally? Is the hearing loss something that is occurring suddenly? Is it going to get worse? Is it going to get better?" Cathy Cox said.

In the midst of uncertainty, Cox must learn to live with this new obstacle. He says for the most part, it doesn't affect wrestling at all.

"If anything it helps tone everything out," Cox said.

Smith said, "I'll have to know which ear to yell at him."

Cox said, "During practice now, I need to be close to coach."

It's outside of wrestling where Cox will have to adapt the most.

"It's a curse and a blessing cause I'm really into sign language. Losing my hearing I kind of get to explore this," Cox said.

"I think he's very much taking a wait and see approach," Cathy Cox said. "In the meantime he loves learning sign language and I don't think it's out of a fear that he's going to be a non-hearing person. I just think he loves learning sign language."

Cox began learning sign language as a student at Hickman High School, well before he started losing his hearing. He said one of his dream jobs was to be a creative writing teacher for a deaf school.

"I don't know where I came up with it but I liked writing and I liked sign language," Cox said. "So I was like all right put them together what do you get?"

His father said, "This was a passion for him even before this hearing loss came."

Cox is currently enrolled in American Sign Language at Mizzou. His TA, Hayden Kristal, has been very impressed with him.

"A for effort and A for execution because his signs are beautiful," Kristal said. "His facial expression is great, and facial expression is a huge part of sign language."

Kristal wasn't always this fond of Cox.

"I was like 'this dumb jock is going to come into my class and he's going to demand all of this special treatment and skip class and he's going to miss homework' and then when he failed, I'm going to get blamed, and I was just so angry."

But Kristal quickly realized Cox was different.

"When I met him, he was this smart, nice, hardworking guy, and I was like 'oh that's not what I was expecting at all.' It was super nice."

Now, what Cox learns in school, he brings home to teach his mom.

"J'den teaches me every time he comes home when he refuses to speak and just uses his hands to talk," Cathy Cox said. "Sometimes I have to say 'honey, please use words when you sign. Momma can learn it a lot easier if you use the words while you sign.'"

Cox said, "I'll give her a ‘C' right now. That's better than a ‘F' or a ‘D.'"

His mother said, "My favorite sign that I do to J'den even when he wrestles is a very simple one. I love you."

Cox said, "I don't know what's going to happen with it. I don't know what it's going to come to. I just know where I'm at right now. I know what I'm doing to be ready for anything."

Cox won the NCAA national championship at 197 pounds earlier this year as a freshman. He was also a four-time state champion at Columbia's Hickman High School. But Cox said he has bigger goals.

"Well, I want to get back to where I was last year, but I want to do it better than I did last year," Cox said.

"His goal is to win four, and he wants to make an Olympic team," Smith said.

PRAGUE (AP) - Police and officials say six people have been killed and three wounded in a shooting in a... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:33:57 AM CST December 10, 2019 in News
WHAKATANE, New Zealand (AP) — Police say a person injured in a volcanic eruption in New Zealand has died in... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:29:00 AM CST December 10, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department confirmed it was conducting a homicide investigation after a shooting at the Welcome Inn... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, December 10 2019 Dec 10, 2019 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:05:00 AM CST December 10, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Property owners of two buildings in the heart of Jefferson City are facing a deadline to either... More >>
13 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 6:39:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Board of Education voted on a new student seclusion, isolation and restraint policy at its meeting... More >>
15 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 4:09:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - Authorities say a mid-Missouri couple is jailed after being charged with repeatedly locking a 9-year-old boy... More >>
16 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 3:44:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Five professors from the University of Missouri School of Law signed an open letter stating that President Donald... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 2:30:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Neapolitan pizza restaurant MidiCi closed its doors for good on Sunday after roughly 3 years in Columbia. ... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 2:14:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The number of people who are homeless in Missouri has decreased for five straight years: 2014-2018. ... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 2:13:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Missouri's health department has so far received three reports of flu-associated deaths as peak flu season begins. ... More >>
19 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 12:00:00 PM CST December 09, 2019 in News
MEXICO - Similar to veterans homes across the nation, Missouri veterans homes are suffering from a shortage of staffing. ... More >>
21 hours ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 9:59:00 AM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Starting Monday, the City of Columbia Municipal Court will offer a period of warrant amnesty. There will... More >>
1 day ago Monday, December 09 2019 Dec 9, 2019 Monday, December 09, 2019 3:30:00 AM CST December 09, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — The Moberly Police Department arrested a suspect accused of robbing a gas station at gun-point Saturday evening. ... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 9:50:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Tigers have found their new head football coach. Eli Drinkwitz from Appalachian State will lead... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 6:47:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
TIPTON - Neighbors are reacting after authorities said Bobby Joe Moore, 43, of Sedalia, shot his ex-girlfriends' mother and hit... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 6:01:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
LAKE OF THE OZARKS - Restaurant owners are heading into the holiday season ready to handle the winter customers and... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 3:43:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in Continuous News
FULTON — Community members can gather at the Field of Joy in Fulton’s Veteran's Park to remember departed loved ones... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 2:13:00 PM CST December 08, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Singing pine trees and dancing blue penguins are now lighting up the night throughout Binder Park in... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 08 2019 Dec 8, 2019 Sunday, December 08, 2019 8:00:00 AM CST December 08, 2019 in News