Missouri wrestler J'den Cox battling with new challenge

4 years 10 months 4 days ago Monday, December 08 2014 Dec 8, 2014 Monday, December 08, 2014 1:35:00 PM CST December 08, 2014 in Mizzou Xtra
By: Andrew Kauffman, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA - Missouri wrestler J'den Cox said he never backs down from a challenge, whether it's on the mat or anywhere else.

"I want to dominate," Cox said.

Mizzou wrestling coach Brian Smith said, "He always wants to be the best on the field or the best on the mat."

Cox's father Mike Cox said, "Whatever obstacles that he has to climb to accomplish his goals, he does that."

Recently, that became harder.

"I just kind of noticed it that I had to keep repeating things to him," Smith said.

"It's pretty much just getting worse. I'm having trouble hearing people in crowded places," Cox said.

His mother, Cathy Cox said, "After meeting with the doctor, it was determined that J'den had lost I think about 35 percent of his hearing in his left ear."

Cox said he began losing his hearing earlier this year, and he and his family still don't know why this is happening.

"I really don't know if it's wrestling related or if it's something else," his mother said.

Cox's father is also deaf in one ear; however, his condition began when he was a child. So far, the doctors have not determined whether or not this is correlated with Cox's hearing loss. There are still lots of unanswered questions.

"Was the hearing loss cause of the blows during wrestling? Is the hearing loss something that's just occurring naturally? Is the hearing loss something that is occurring suddenly? Is it going to get worse? Is it going to get better?" Cathy Cox said.

In the midst of uncertainty, Cox must learn to live with this new obstacle. He says for the most part, it doesn't affect wrestling at all.

"If anything it helps tone everything out," Cox said.

Smith said, "I'll have to know which ear to yell at him."

Cox said, "During practice now, I need to be close to coach."

It's outside of wrestling where Cox will have to adapt the most.

"It's a curse and a blessing cause I'm really into sign language. Losing my hearing I kind of get to explore this," Cox said.

"I think he's very much taking a wait and see approach," Cathy Cox said. "In the meantime he loves learning sign language and I don't think it's out of a fear that he's going to be a non-hearing person. I just think he loves learning sign language."

Cox began learning sign language as a student at Hickman High School, well before he started losing his hearing. He said one of his dream jobs was to be a creative writing teacher for a deaf school.

"I don't know where I came up with it but I liked writing and I liked sign language," Cox said. "So I was like all right put them together what do you get?"

His father said, "This was a passion for him even before this hearing loss came."

Cox is currently enrolled in American Sign Language at Mizzou. His TA, Hayden Kristal, has been very impressed with him.

"A for effort and A for execution because his signs are beautiful," Kristal said. "His facial expression is great, and facial expression is a huge part of sign language."

Kristal wasn't always this fond of Cox.

"I was like 'this dumb jock is going to come into my class and he's going to demand all of this special treatment and skip class and he's going to miss homework' and then when he failed, I'm going to get blamed, and I was just so angry."

But Kristal quickly realized Cox was different.

"When I met him, he was this smart, nice, hardworking guy, and I was like 'oh that's not what I was expecting at all.' It was super nice."

Now, what Cox learns in school, he brings home to teach his mom.

"J'den teaches me every time he comes home when he refuses to speak and just uses his hands to talk," Cathy Cox said. "Sometimes I have to say 'honey, please use words when you sign. Momma can learn it a lot easier if you use the words while you sign.'"

Cox said, "I'll give her a ‘C' right now. That's better than a ‘F' or a ‘D.'"

His mother said, "My favorite sign that I do to J'den even when he wrestles is a very simple one. I love you."

Cox said, "I don't know what's going to happen with it. I don't know what it's going to come to. I just know where I'm at right now. I know what I'm doing to be ready for anything."

Cox won the NCAA national championship at 197 pounds earlier this year as a freshman. He was also a four-time state champion at Columbia's Hickman High School. But Cox said he has bigger goals.

"Well, I want to get back to where I was last year, but I want to do it better than I did last year," Cox said.

"His goal is to win four, and he wants to make an Olympic team," Smith said.

HARSTBURG – Celebrating another fall season with pumpkin carving, hayrides and a straw maze, the 28th annual Hartsburg Pumpkin Festival... More >>
8 hours ago Sunday, October 13 2019 Oct 13, 2019 Sunday, October 13, 2019 8:00:00 AM CDT October 13, 2019 in News
TOKYO (AP) — A heavy downpour and strong winds pounded Tokyo and surrounding areas on Saturday as a powerful typhoon... More >>
19 hours ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:03:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
LILBOURN, Mo. (AP) — A small earthquake has been reported in southeastern Missouri. The U.S. Geological Survey says... More >>
20 hours ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:41:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — One person died after a crash in Cooper County Saturday morning. Haven Pennington, 19, drove her Pontiac... More >>
23 hours ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 4:55:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
There is 5:40 left in the game. North Kansas City's Ronaldo Calderon kicks a field goal to give the... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:36:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY — The dome of the Missouri Capitol building will be lit pink in honor of breast cancer... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:08:00 PM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
HARTSBURG - The Hartsburg Pumpkin Festival announced parking will be moved to the river roads near the festival grounds. ... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 12 2019 Oct 12, 2019 Saturday, October 12, 2019 5:50:44 AM CDT October 12, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A Columbia man is behind bars after a search warrant turned up illegal drugs and and a firearm.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 10:07:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Below are scores from football games around mid-Missouri. Final scores are in bold. ... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 6:39:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Friday Night Fever
COLUMBIA - Friday Night Fever’s Week 7 Game of the Week features an interesting game between a traveling Rockhurst (3-3)... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 6:10:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Friday Night Fever
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department is asking for the public’s help locating 28-year-old Mengqi Ji Elledge. Elledge was... More >>
1 day ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 4:38:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
NEW FLORENCE - The Missouri State Highway Patrol awarded Randy Nordman and his widow Julie Nordman with the department's highest... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 3:52:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
CALIFORNIA - The Moniteau County Sheriff’s Office and the California Police Department made contact with people in two vehicles that... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 1:59:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - University of Missouri Chancellor, Alexander Cartwright, gave the 2019 State of the University Address on Friday, speaking about... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 1:34:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - Ten men who have only known recent life in prison are now a step closer to success... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 12:46:00 PM CDT October 11, 2019 in Top Stories
COLUMBIA - Police arrested two men in connection with a shots fired case on Dove Drive early Thursday. The... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 11:59:00 AM CDT October 11, 2019 in Top Stories
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Democratic Missouri gubernatorial challenger Nicole Galloway has outraised incumbent Republican Gov. Mike Parson in recent... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 11:26:00 AM CDT October 11, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A house fire broke out Friday morning on Mohawk Court, but no one was hurt. Firefighters arrived... More >>
2 days ago Friday, October 11 2019 Oct 11, 2019 Friday, October 11, 2019 10:43:00 AM CDT October 11, 2019 in News