Police Dog Brutality Questioned

1 decade 2 years 7 months ago Thursday, February 23 2006 Feb 23, 2006 Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:32:06 PM CST February 23, 2006 in News

Lake Ozark police say Daniel Curtis Johnson of Olean hit a parked car on Highway 54, then ran after an officer spotted him leave a gas station near the scene of the accident.

Johnson admits he was in the crash, but says he didn't see the police and was trying to get to a friend's house to make a phone call. But it's what happened after Johnson left the gas station that has both sides on the defensive.

"Per actual radio traffic, I believe, was that he ran off into the woods. Right then, I mean, that's part of Yasko's job is to find fleeing suspects," LOPD Sergeant Dale Heiser said.

"I never ran across the street into the woods, I didn't see any cops say anything to me," Daniel Curtis Johnson said.

Two different versions of what happened in the early morning hours of March 31 of this year. Both centering on Lake Ozark's only police dog, Yasko.

Heiser used the dog to track Johnson that night. During the track, Heiser fell, and hurt his knee.

He says he was holding Yasko back, keeping the dog from doing its job, so he let Yasko off his leash.

Target 8 spoke to two experienced K9 handlers. They say it's not unusual to let a dog off its leash during a track, especially in an area with rough terrain

"After I let Yasko go, he went into the woods, and I just had to follow him the best I could into the woods," Heiser said.

Heiser says Johnson had fair warning.

"When I get on scene, that's the first thing I do," Heiser said, "I get Yasko out of the car and I announce that a canine is coming into the woods, and if he doesn't stop, we're going to come find him. That night, I specifically recall announcing the presence of the canine three times before I let him go," Heiser said.

Johnson says he'd been walking for a while, so he sat down to rest in a nearby neighborhood. The next thing he remembers is seeing Yasko.

"I looked up, he came around the corner of the house, I looked up and saw him, next thing I know he's all over me," Johnson said.

Johnson remembers the struggle.

"Well, I was trying to get him off for a little while, then I thought if I just laid there and didn't move he wouldn't bite me, and I just tried to lay still and that's when he bit a hole in my shoulder," Johnson said, "I grabbed him by the neck and pinned him to the ground. I was yelling for the cops for a while, then I couldn't yell anymore so I just sat there and waited and finally they came out of the woods."

Johnson's injuries required a trip to the hospital and a surgical procedure. He had a gash on his chest and a chunk of flesh bitten out of his shoulder.

Heiser says Yasko was just doing his job.

"The best way to describe this is, if there's not any aggressive action, Yasko's not going to take any aggressive action," Heiser said.

Johnson says he was just trying to protect himself and that the dog was out of control.

"If he had gotten a hold of my neck, who knows what would've happened," Johnson said, "He took a chunk out of my shoulder down to the bone, I don't think police dogs are trained to do that."

There are no federal or Missouri state laws governing the use of police canines. Law enforcement rely on private organizations and kennels to certify handlers and dogs.

The LOPD says it took appropriate action, given the situation.

Heiser says Johnson could have avoided the situation if he'd listened to the police.

"It's a split-second decision that you have to be able to make, and based on what I had to go off of, I felt I had a felony property damage, and then a felony leaving the scene of an accident," Heiser said, "I believed I had two felonies at the time. And when people run, you know, they're running for a reason."

Police say evidence shows that reason. Johnson was on probation, and the accident itself was a violation of that probation.

Tests show Johnson was over the legal limit for alcohol as well. But Johnson's attorney says none of that matters.

"It doesn't matter the circumstances of the accident, the way the dog was unleashed and sent after Daniel is egregious, it's wrong, and unreasonable," Johnson's attorney Matthew Uhrig said.

The LOPD says it's in the clear because Johnson fled the scene and doesn't offer an apology.

"We take the responsibility in that we made sure he got the appropriate first aid treatment, so that's why we called the fire department and he was transported to lake regional for treatment," LOPD Chief Jon Hasker said.

"I don't want to see anybody get bit, I mean, that's not at all the situation. But if that's his job and that's the situation, he knows his job and he knows when to do it," Heiser said.

But Johnson's attorney says an apology alone wouldn't be enough.

"The way the dog attacked Daniel, his injuries are significant, he's entitled to something more than just a handshake and a we're sorry that happened," Uhrig said.

Because of his probation violation, Johnson is in prison for seven years.

But while he's behind bars, this incident has caught the attention of the FBI.

The agent Target 8 spoke with would not confirm the start date of the investigation, but says the report will soon go to the Civil Rights division of the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.

If the department finds the LOPD violated Johnson's rights, the department or the U.S. Attorney's office could file charges.

COLUMBIA - Sen. Claire McCaskill spoke about health care in Columbia on Friday at Laborers Local 955, as part of... More >>
8 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 7:35:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - After realizing the underrepresentation of Hispanic business owners in mid-Missouri, three Hispanic professionals established a group of 12... More >>
10 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 5:49:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - This is the last week of the regular season and it's a cold one. Our game of... More >>
10 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 5:20:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in Friday Night Fever
COLUMBIA - Two Midwest companies issued separate food recalls this week for bacterial contamination concerns. Hy-Vee said its supplier,... More >>
11 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 4:53:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
CAMDEN (AP) — Toxicology tests show that a boater was drunk when he slammed into a bluff at Missouri's Lake... More >>
12 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 3:41:35 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Legion of Black Collegians and the FourFront Marginalized Student Council held a solidarity walk Friday to show... More >>
12 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 3:39:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Missouri State Medical Association (MSMA), along with multiple medical associations, reaffirmed their opposition to the three... More >>
13 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 2:50:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - For the fourth consecutive year, Project Homeless Connect provided services Friday for people who are experiencing homelessness... More >>
13 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 2:39:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Mega Millions jackpot has soared to an estimated $1 billion, as the second-largest lottery... More >>
15 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 12:10:00 PM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Police want the public's help finding a man who allegedly ran from a traffic stop after hurting... More >>
16 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 11:42:00 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Two MU residence halls and an atrium were officially dedicated on Friday honoring three former MU students. Lucile... More >>
17 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 10:09:00 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
WASHINGTON (AP) — Just 1 in 4 people thinks Brett Kavanaugh was completely honest when as a Supreme Court nominee... More >>
17 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 9:58:13 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- The US moved closer to acknowledging the role of Saudi Arabia in journalist Jamal Khashoggi's apparent death as... More >>
18 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 9:36:16 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
RANDOLPH COUNTY - MoDOT announced they will close Randolph County Route CC from Route FF to Route K on Monday,... More >>
19 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 8:30:00 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
FLORISSANT (AP) — Authorities have arrested a suburban St. Louis student after finding a loaded gun and a razor inside... More >>
20 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 7:46:15 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri man has been sentenced to life in prison in the 1984 beating death... More >>
20 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 7:10:00 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Kansas City doctor has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for his... More >>
21 hours ago Friday, October 19 2018 Oct 19, 2018 Friday, October 19, 2018 6:51:00 AM CDT October 19, 2018 in News
ST. LOUIS - Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill and Republican opponent Josh Hawley were sometimes heated and often derisive as they... More >>
1 day ago Thursday, October 18 2018 Oct 18, 2018 Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:02:00 PM CDT October 18, 2018 in News