Several local artists appreciate business owner's support

4 years 8 months 1 week ago Thursday, November 13 2014 Nov 13, 2014 Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:26:00 PM CST November 13, 2014 in News
By: Brea Love, KOMU 8 Reporter

CALLAWAY COUNTY - A group of artists and artisans credit some of their success to a local tearoom.

Cherie Rutter, who owns Cherie's Cake Boutique and Tea Room, said she prides herself on supporting local businesses.

One of the artisans Rutter helps owns a business called Crafted by Christine. She said Rutter's tearoom has made a big impact on her family and by allowing her to be a vendor inside the shop.

Christine Wirth said, "I met Cherie through a mutual friend, who had seen my work. I just called her and fell in love with her instantly because she was so sweet and caring and wanted to help me."

Wirth's handcrafted items include wall hangings, jewelry and crocheted hats. She said having her items in the tearoom works very well and saved her family money.

"I had an actual booth in a local business but I found that it took a lot of my time to go and maintain that booth," Wirths said. "I take my things there, and there are customers in and out all the time. If I sell my things that's awesome, I make money and they do too, but if I don't I'm not out of that rental space.

Rutter's tearoom is right off the Millersburg exit on I-70. When the building's roof collapsed during a winter storm, the original owners could not reopen the theater. In order to preserve the historic building, Rutter opened the tearoom in the lobby.

"Tearooms typically are in historical buildings, or somewhere with a history behind them. This one has the history of the lighthouse and the theater and the music. That's one of the reasons I picked this one," Rutter said.

Rutter supports local musicians and artists and features more than 12 different vendors' handcrafted items inside of her shop. Rutter even sells and plays the music of the previous owner of the lighthouse theater, Hazel Kinder.

Rutter said she is motivated to help the community and local business owners because she started her business out of her home years ago.

"When I was doing cakes from home I was always looking for places that I could sell, to get my name out and this is a way for me to support people," Rutter said. "All of the people that have things here I know personally, and it's a way for me to help people in the community, whether it's a musician, author, someone who makes jewelry, or hand crafted items."

The vendors give their items to Rutter and she displays them around the store.
While customers are waiting on their sweets they are invited to look around.

When someone walks in they may notice the abundance of art, wall hangings, and items on the wall. Anything with a tag attached is actually a local vendor's work and for sale.

One vendor who has made a large impact on Rutter is her father.

"My dad has things here, he handcrafts items from old antique silverware. There are wind chimes, necklaces, earrings, and usually bracelets. He had a stroke a few years ago and after that stroke he became really creative and artistic," Rutter said.

Rutter said doctors believe the work is good therapy for her dad, because the fine detail of jewelry making requires hand-eye coordination.

"He does really cool stuff, and his stuff sells really well here," she said.

Polina Corporate, a national real estate company, ranked Missouri within the top ten "pro-business" states. Rutter said she thinks supporting local vendors creates a good business network within Mid-Missouri.

"If I'm supporting someone locally they will support me," Rutter said. "If they have things here they're obviously going to send people here to shop for their stuff. I would prefer to spend my money with a local small business instead of a big chain. "

Ten percent of all vendors' proceeds go to charity.

Rutter will hold a local vendor showcase on November 15. For more information on her vendors and the event visit her website.

Related Stories

COLUMBIA — Prosecutors charged Ryan Wade Blair, 27, with two counts of assault and endangering a correctional officer. Blair... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 7:36:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Local, state and federal agencies will be conducting emergency preparedness exercises at the Hearnes Center on MU's campus... More >>
15 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 6:59:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A federal judge sentenced a Columbia man Monday morning for his role in a drug trafficking case. ... More >>
16 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 5:27:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Department of Transportation will receive $81.2 million to replace the Rocheport Bridge. The money will... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 4:36:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
HOLTS SUMMIT, Mo. — A Chicago man faces criminal charges related to a suspicious package case in Holts Summit. ... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 4:11:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A roof collapsed early this morning from too much rain. The apartment complex had a temporary fix... More >>
19 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 2:59:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Users of the popular social sharing site Reddit are upset after they say a scammer targeted them--posing as... More >>
19 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 2:50:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
MOBERLY - Contaminants stemming from an Orscheln facility may be in Moberly's air and sewers, and the City Council voted... More >>
20 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 2:12:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — Close to 90,000 children and 23,000 adults have been dropped from Missouri's Medicaid health insurance program... More >>
20 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 2:03:00 PM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A power outage has caused Lincoln University to close for the rest of Monday. The... More >>
22 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 11:37:00 AM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
MACKS CREEK — A building in Camden County has collapsed after floodwaters compromised the structure. According to a Facebook... More >>
23 hours ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 10:28:00 AM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
ESTES PARK, CO. — John Drage doesn’t know how many more miles he’s got left in him. Every step,... More >>
1 day ago Monday, July 22 2019 Jul 22, 2019 Monday, July 22, 2019 9:28:00 AM CDT July 22, 2019 in News
STRAFFORD — A KY3 viewer, JD Matney, shared this video of a mountain lion walking along just north of Strafford.... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, July 21 2019 Jul 21, 2019 Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:24:00 PM CDT July 21, 2019 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA — Columbia police responded to a report of shots fired early Sunday morning. The incident occurred on Apple... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, July 21 2019 Jul 21, 2019 Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:08:00 PM CDT July 21, 2019 in News
LAKE OF THE OZARKS - Missouri Highway Patrol Troop F responded to a boat fire at the Lake of the... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, July 21 2019 Jul 21, 2019 Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:40:00 PM CDT July 21, 2019 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - FEMA opened the doors of a new Disaster Recovery Center in Cole County over the weekend. ... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, July 21 2019 Jul 21, 2019 Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:37:00 PM CDT July 21, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA — A Columbia teenager is home safe after she was missing for almost two days. Summer Skye Allen,... More >>
2 days ago Saturday, July 20 2019 Jul 20, 2019 Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:05:00 PM CDT July 20, 2019 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA — Three men were arrested after allegedly stealing $22,000 worth of electronics from a Moberly Walmart Saturday. Several... More >>
2 days ago Saturday, July 20 2019 Jul 20, 2019 Saturday, July 20, 2019 6:53:00 PM CDT July 20, 2019 in Continuous News