She blocked a black neighbor from entering their St. Louis building. Then she got fired

11 months 4 weeks 12 hours ago Wednesday, October 17 2018 Oct 17, 2018 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:23:00 PM CDT October 17, 2018 in News
By: Ray Sanchez, CNN

(CNN) -- A white woman has been fired after video emerged of her confronting and blocking the entry of a black neighbor at a St. Louis apartment complex.

"Please move, miss," the black resident, D'Arreion Toles, is heard telling the woman on viral cell phone video he recorded late Friday as she blocked him from entering the downtown loft complex where they both live, CNN affiliate KMOV reported.

"I can," she said. "Do you live here?"

The woman's employer said in a statement that she was fired after a review of the incident, the station reported.

"The Tribeca-STL family is a minority-owned company that consists of employees and residents from many racial backgrounds," the statement said.

"We are proud of this fact and do not and never will stand for racism or racial profiling at our company. ... At Tribeca-STL we want all residents, guests and visitors to feel welcome, safe and respected."

The incident occurred in the woman's private residence and not at a Tribeca-STL property, the statement said.

The episode was the latest involving white people who are captured on video either confronting or calling the police on black people going about their everyday lives, including waiting in Starbucksworking as a home inspectorshopping at Nordstrom Rack, sleeping in an Ivy League dorm common room and barbecuing in a public park.

Last week in New York, a white woman in Brooklyn apologized after video was posted online of her appearing to call New York police to say a 9-year-old black boy grabbed her behind.

What the video shows

Late Friday, as Toles returned home to the Elder Shirt Lofts apartments, a neighbor with a small dog blocked his entry and demanded proof of residence, the station reported. He taped the encounter on his cell phone.

"You're blocking me," he told her.

"Into my building."

"It's my building as well. You need get out of my way."

"OK, what unit?"

"I don't need to tell you that information. Excuse me, miss."

"I'm uncomfortable."

"OK, you can be uncomfortable. That's your discretion. You're uncomfortable because of you."

Toles eventually showed a key fob and moved past the woman, KMOV reported. She followed him to his fourth-floor apartment.

"I was kind of blown away, shocked and like, 'Wow,'" he later told the station. "If I did not have my camera out, I feel it could have gone a totally different way."

Woman calls racism accusations 'false'

But the woman, Hilary Thornton, told CNN affiliate KTVI that she simply asked if he lived there because he did not enter the building with his key fob.

"When I noticed an individual that I did not know, my only intent was to follow the direction I had been given by our condo association board members repeatedly, and that is to never allow access to any individual that you do not know," she said.

Thornton told KTVI the accusations that she is racist are "absolutely false and heartbreaking."

"I do not think I did anything wrong," she said.

Toles told KMOV that he was not mad at the woman.

"I am not upset with her," he said. "I am not going to go after her legally or anything like that. I wish her the best. I would still have a conversation with her."

COLUMBIA - Hackers compromised a mocked-up home page of Gentry Middle School in Columbia, briefly posting the N-word in the... More >>
1 hour ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:24:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri Police Department (MUPD) is investigating a sexual assault that happened over the weekend near... More >>
3 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:53:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Twelve Democratic presidential candidates took stage Tuesday night in Ohio while mid-Missouri viewers watched on television. The debate... More >>
3 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:44:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri released the results Tuesday of a survey on the campus climate surrounding sexual assault... More >>
3 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:27:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- Missouri State Auditor Nicole Galloway said Tuesday Missouri is in no shape to handle a recession if financial... More >>
4 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:13:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - From ear to ear, it's hard to miss 94-year-old Elmo Winterhalter's smile. "I don't know I've always... More >>
4 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:40:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in EmVP
COLUMBIA - MU Health Care unveiled a new therapeutic, outdoor activity center for patients Tuesday. The area has a... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:14:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Three people were hospitalized after a crash involving an ambulance shut down two major roads Tuesday afternoon. ... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:20:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Governor Mike Parson signed an executive order Tuesday to create a campaign to educate, warn, and deter... More >>
9 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:32:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
KANSAS CITY (KSHB) — You never know what you'll encounter as a police officer. One day, you may walk... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:47:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
LSU quarterback Joe Burrow, who is on a record-breaking pace during the first half of the season, and Wisconsin running... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:10:00 PM CDT October 15, 2019 in Sports
HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Montana authorities say an improvised explosive device blew up in an elementary school playground in Helena.... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:07:00 AM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - A Moberly man pleaded guilty to a federal charge of aggravated identity theft and will be sentenced in... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:44:41 AM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
(CNN) -- When it comes to concussions in high school sports, there is good news and bad news, a new... More >>
16 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:29:48 AM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (AP) — Turkey defied growing condemnation from its NATO allies to press ahead with its invasion of northern... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:45:00 AM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — The Kansas City T-Bones are officially locked out of their stadium in Kansas City, Kansas.... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:48:00 AM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - The City of Columbia is trying to slow drivers down on two streets in the downtown area. ... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, October 15 2019 Oct 15, 2019 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:56:00 AM CDT October 15, 2019 in News
CAMDENTON — Camdenton City Clerk Renee Kingston didn't fall for a traffic violation scam. Kingston said she received two... More >>
1 day ago Monday, October 14 2019 Oct 14, 2019 Monday, October 14, 2019 7:50:00 PM CDT October 14, 2019 in News