Super Mario Part Two

1 decade 2 years 7 months ago Monday, November 19 2007 Nov 19, 2007 Monday, November 19, 2007 12:11:46 AM CST November 19, 2007 in Sports

For former Mizzou running back Mario Whitney, it was the off the field adjustments that he struggled to make.

It didn't take former prep phenom Mario Whitney long to realize the differences between high school and division one football.

"Just the demand. You have no time to yourself. It's a 40-hour a week job. You have no time to yourself and I wasn't ready for that at 18-19 years old," he said.

Missouri running back coach Brian Jones explained what is required of MU football players.

"We ask our players to jump through lots of hoops. In terms of football-wise, academically, socially and so on. We ask them to toe the line there and it took him a while to adjust to all those situations," Jones said.

Mario worked through summer camp and contributed 52 total yards in the Tigers season opening wins against Illinois and Ball State. But a separated shoulder in the game against Bowling Green derailed his freshman season, and soon afterwards, he considered leaving Columbia.

"He would say, 'Mom, it's not like I thought it would be.' Then he got the feeling that, 'They don't really care about me,'" said Carla Whitney, Mario's mother.

"Physically I had all the tools, but emotionally and mentally I wasn't ready for it. I was still a high school kid," said Mario.

His final decision was to leave Mizzou, with his career stats at five carries for seven yards.

"I just kind of figured that life would keep giving me these breaks here and there, here and there, here and there and it just didn't happen," Mario said.

Mario returned home to Jackson for a year before attending Scottsdale Community College in Arizona. He left before ever officially enrolling at Scottsdale to play football at Garden City Community college in Kansas. After rushing for more than 100 yards in his first game, he tore an ankle ligament and broke two ribs.

Mario returned to Columbia to live with a couple of former high school teammates. He took a job dealing blackjack at the Isle of Capri Casino in Boonville, but football was never far from his mind.

"It definitely crossed my mind whenever I had to deal to some of the coaches at the casino. That defintely crossed my mind. I sat there and talked to them. But I always think that I could have played," Mario said.

Carla noted sadness in her son when he wasn't playing football.

"I could tell he was depressed and I was like, 'Mario, you're young, it's not over,'" she said.

It wasn't over. Mario got another chance at football with a scholarship from William Penn University, A small NAIA school in Oskaloosa, Iowa.

"I told my son, nobody gets three full rides to school. I said, 'You are blessed. I'm telling you that's just the favor of God.' So I said, 'You have to take advantage of this third chance,'"Carla said.

And he has taken advantage, rushing for nearly 100 yards per game and eleven touchdowns in just eight games. He also earned second team All-Midwest Conference honors.

"He doesn't take his athletic ability for granted and that means a lot to us because we've had players before that have had a lot of athletic ability that ended up not doing anything because they didn't work very hard. But that's not the case with Mario and it's going to continue to make him a great player," William Penn Coach Todd Hafner said.

While Mario's football career has taken him all across the country, he's finally found his place in Oskaloosa. And it's a homecoming of sorts, playing his home games at Oskaloosa high school, the home of the Indians.

"This isn't a punishment, this place is not a punishment. It's definitely not D-1, but those people in the stands, I'll see them in town and they'll treat me like their best friend," Mario said.

"He's more determined now than he ever has been. Maybe because he's older and he knows all the mistakes he made before, but that makes him better. Because now he's not just someone out there just playing, he's out there with a goal in mind that I want to get where I want to go," Carla said.

He wants to play in the NFL, a dream he is confident will be fulfilled. He still has unfinished business at William Penn.

"I would like to win the NAIA player of the year. That's my goal, next year as a senior to win the NAIA player of the year," Mario said.

Not quite the Heisman, but still quite an accomplishment for Super Mario. He still has one year of eligibility left and is on pace to graduate next year with a degree in physical fitness.

COLUMBIA - A group of Columbia solid waste customers are pushing for roll carts to replace the current system. ... More >>
7 hours ago Saturday, July 11 2020 Jul 11, 2020 Saturday, July 11, 2020 7:07:00 PM CDT July 11, 2020 in News
As COVID-19 continues to spread, KOMU 8 will continue to update you about impacts in the community. You can... More >>
16 hours ago Saturday, July 11 2020 Jul 11, 2020 Saturday, July 11, 2020 10:24:00 AM CDT July 11, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Medical marijuana could be available in dispensaries this fall, now that two cultivation facilities passed inspection and... More >>
16 hours ago Saturday, July 11 2020 Jul 11, 2020 Saturday, July 11, 2020 10:17:00 AM CDT July 11, 2020 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Kansas City councilwoman is calling for a plan to remove monuments and rename streets... More >>
16 hours ago Saturday, July 11 2020 Jul 11, 2020 Saturday, July 11, 2020 10:00:34 AM CDT July 11, 2020 in News
ST. LOUIS — KSDK News 5 On Your Side has learned St. Louis police officers executed a search warrant... More >>
16 hours ago Saturday, July 11 2020 Jul 11, 2020 Saturday, July 11, 2020 9:49:00 AM CDT July 11, 2020 in News
MARSHALL - An employee of The Living Center at Fitzgibbon Hospital tested positive for COVID-19 after showing no signs of... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 9:40:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA -- The 90-day mask ordinance passed by Columbia’s City Council went into effect at 5 p.m. on Friday. The... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 6:48:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - The City announced eleven drop-off recycling locations after it put curbside recycling on hold until further notice Wednesday.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 6:13:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia's mask ordinance officially went into place at 5 p.m. on Friday, but many businesses in the city... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 5:35:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — Summer sport leagues in Columbia have been trying to keep athletes safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Mid-Missouri... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 4:36:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
HUNTSVILLE - An employee at the Randolph County Sheriff's Department was fired after body camera video was released to a... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 3:49:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Police are looking into two reports of indecent conduct on the MKT Trail, both of which happened within... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 3:39:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA- Tiger Academy of Gymnastics is hosting a summer camp for kids to attend, but it is going to look... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 2:22:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA – As Boone County struggles to keep up with the need for contact tracing in the community, volunteers are... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 12:49:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - UM System leaders unveiled a new plan to bring broadband access to a rural pilot community on Wednesday.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 12:09:00 PM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Bicentennial Bridge project is a $3.75 million dollar bridge to connect the Missouri State Capitol Complex... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 11:51:43 AM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — President Donald Trump has approved Missouri’s request for a federal disaster declaration for severe storms in... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 11:38:46 AM CDT July 10, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA – The city mask ordinance for Columbia goes into effect at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, and education will be... More >>
1 day ago Friday, July 10 2020 Jul 10, 2020 Friday, July 10, 2020 11:00:00 AM CDT July 10, 2020 in News