Twelve Mizzou seniors will return to compete for another season
COLUMBIA - Twelve Mizzou student-athletes will return next year, utilizing an extra year of eligibility in playing spring sports.
The NCAA Division I council voted on March 30 to allow schools to provide spring sport athletes an opportunity to compete another season. This is an extension of the athletes period of eligibility after the spring season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mizzou Athletics provided the option for 21 qualifying spring sport student athletes, according to a news release.
Of the 21 students, 12 have chosen to compete for an additional season.
"We look forward to watching these Mizzou student-athletes who had their 2020 spring seasons cut short by COVID-19 returning to finish out their collegiate careers the right way next spring," Mizzou Director of Athletics Jim Sterk said.
The student-athletes electing to return next season include:
- Art Joven – Baseball
- Spencer Juergens – Baseball
- Lukas Veinbergs – Baseball
- Peter Zimmermann – Baseball
- Rory Franssen – Men's Golf
- Jessica Yuen – Women's Golf
- Gabrielle Goldin – Women's Tennis
- Serena Nash – Women's Tennis
- Thomas George – Men's Track & Field
- Caulin Graves – Men's Track & Field
- Jordan McClendon – Women's Track & Field
- Karissa Roman – Women's Track & Field
One additional student-athlete is still weighing options, one elected to transfer to another institution and the remaining eligible athletes are moving on to future endeavors beyond college, according to the release.