Tyree Byndom Rises from Delinquent to Award Winner

6 years 3 months 4 days ago Monday, February 18 2013 Feb 18, 2013 Monday, February 18, 2013 7:03:00 PM CST February 18, 2013 in News
By: Allie Hinds

COLUMBIA- "Martin Luther King Jr. stated, ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.' Anyone who knows Tyree Byndom can tell you he is not a silent man," Mayor Bob McDavid said at the 16th annual Columbia Values Diversity Awards.

Silence is never something Tyree Byndom, winner of this year's Columbia Values Diversity Award, has struggled with. He hosts three radio shows back to back on community radio station KOPN every Saturday from 2-6pm. Byndom worked with the National Society of Black Engineers to start after-school tutoring programs in Columbia. He's also involved with the Minority Men's Network, the Everyone Eats Program, PedNet's Unite for Healthy Neighborhoods, and Columbia's Stop the Violence campaign.

Byndom moved his family to Columbia's First Ward neighborhood so he can be an active and involved presence there. He brought back the Douglass Park Neighborhood Association after 11 years of nonexistence.

But the first time Byndom moved to Columbia's First Ward, getting out was all Byndom wanted to do.

When Byndom was nine years old, his mother Debra Gentry, moved Byndom and his brother to Columbia to escape the violence of St. Louis.

"When I felt like St. Louis wasn't safe, I left because I watched every friend I had die," Gentry said.

She watched not only friends die, but loved ones too. "When I learned that [Byndom's father] was shot, I was 9 months pregnant," Gentry said. "He died the day Tyree was supposed to be born."

Gentry was 14 at the time. She put herself through school and got her college degree while raising two boys.

"I did it because I wanted to be an example to them. I was the first one in the family to earn a bachelor's degree. I just wanted to let them know if you think it, you can do it period," Gentry said.

When Gentry and her boys moved to Columbia, it wasn't an easy transition.

Byndom ended up at the Juvenile Justice Center, and a few years later despite his mother's push to go to college, he joined the Marines.

"You know for me it was my way to get out of [Columbia]. That's just the reality of it. A lot of my friends were getting locked up," Byndom said.

"I feel a person has to grow and the only way they'll grow is if you allow them to. You have to let them go because then when they come back it's that much sweeter," Gentry said.

But Byndom's return home wasn't as sweet as his mother had hoped. "He was angry. ‘I'll kill you if you look at me, I'll kill you if you step on my shoe.' I said, ‘look son something's wrong,'" Gentry said.

"She basically said what do you want to do. Then after that she said you have to choose what mark you're going to leave on the earth," Byndom said. "I got to the point where I started asking myself 'what's my purpose?' 'What am I going to do?' 'What am I trying to accomplish?'"

In 2001, Byndom was asked to host a radio show on KOPN. He said that show helped show him his purpose in the community.

"It's up to us no matter what our differences are, no matter what problems we have with each other to come together to find some goal to create some type of change for our kids," Byndom said.

Gentry created a change for her kids and now Byndom is trying to create a change for Columbia.

"At a certain point it started to click of how much time and investment she put into me," Byndom said.

Now, every Saturday at 5pm Gentry and her husband Greg join Byndom to host Kore Issues on KOPN. They talk about their lives, their stories, their issues and engage with listeners as they call in to do the same.

"I'm very proud of him... It's really nice for a community to recognize a person that is trying to be different, trying to make a difference, caring about his community, caring about somebody other then himself," Gentry said.

To find out more about Byndom and the organization's he's involved with click here.

ROCHEPORT – Severe flooding is happening across mid-Missouri and in Rocheport the flooding is leaving a finacial impact on businesses.... More >>
44 minutes ago Saturday, May 25 2019 May 25, 2019 Saturday, May 25, 2019 7:57:00 PM CDT May 25, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - Twenty years after the Columbine High School shooting, many parents have only tepid confidence in school safety, according... More >>
5 hours ago Saturday, May 25 2019 May 25, 2019 Saturday, May 25, 2019 3:16:00 PM CDT May 25, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Police Department released an official request for volunteers Saturday morning following Wednesday's EF-3 tornado.... More >>
6 hours ago Saturday, May 25 2019 May 25, 2019 Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:56:00 PM CDT May 25, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Police Department is investigating two incidents of alleged looting involving three individuals Friday afternoon... More >>
7 hours ago Saturday, May 25 2019 May 25, 2019 Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:18:00 PM CDT May 25, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Neighbors in Jefferson City were already watching the Missouri River rise, but no one planned on an... More >>
20 hours ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 11:42:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
COLUMBIA - According to the Callaway County Sheriff's Office, water was over the runways at Jefferson City Airport in Callaway... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 8:09:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in Coverage From Callaway
JEFFERSON CITY - Insurance companies will inspect and process claims for damaged homes over the weekend. Wednesday night's tornado badly... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 6:48:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - A man involved in a car crash on I-70 May 16 has died from his injuries. William... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 6:31:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
BOONE COUNTY - The Missouri River has completely overflowed its banks near the end of South Route N. near Ashland.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 6:16:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Jefferson City is offering instructions on how to get rid of the debris created by Wednesday's tornado.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 5:08:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Insurance agents are warning people hit by Wednesday's tornado to be careful about signing repair contracts. ... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 3:26:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Volunteers from all over Jefferson City are working to help those affected by the tornado. The... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 2:37:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in Top Stories
JEFFERSON CITY - Members from House of Refuge are keeping their faith after Wednesday's tornado completely destroyed their church. ... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 1:37:00 PM CDT May 24, 2019 in Top Stories
ROCHEPORT - The 11th annual Pedaler's Jamboree bike ride got a good start Friday, and Missouri River levels are falling.... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 10:47:00 AM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Gov. Mike Parson on Friday signed a bill that bans abortions on or beyond the... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 10:32:00 AM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Missouri Task Force 1 has deactivated from Jefferson City after an EF-3 tornado swept through the area... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 9:11:00 AM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - As Jefferson City continues to clean up from the tornado on Wednesday night, it still has to... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 12:51:00 AM CDT May 24, 2019 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- During the chaos of the tornado in Jefferson City, one cheerleading and "American Ninja Warrior" gym got torn... More >>
1 day ago Friday, May 24 2019 May 24, 2019 Friday, May 24, 2019 12:15:00 AM CDT May 24, 2019 in News