Undefeated Battle football dedicates season to one it lost

3 years 10 months 5 days ago Sunday, October 09 2016 Oct 9, 2016 Sunday, October 09, 2016 9:08:00 AM CDT October 09, 2016 in Top Stories
By: Tyler Murry, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA — The Battle Spartans have been flawless on the field winning every single game this season including a 40-33 victory over the rival Jefferson City Jays.

Despite all the wins, it's hard not to recognize one major loss.

"I couldn't hold back the tears, and not that I needed to hold them back, but I was trying to stay strong for all these guys," Battle Head Coach Justin Conyers said.

Assistant Coach Jon Dinter battled brain cancer since 2010. This past February, the tumor returned, and it was deemed inopporable just a month ago. He passed away in late September at the age of 32 around family and friends.

"I received a phone call from my wife in tears telling me that he had passed. It was very humbling and very difficult to swallow. "It was almost surreal, because you keep expecting him to come to practice and walk out, and he's not here," Conyers said.

Battle Wide Receiver Jaevon McQuitty said, "I mean I was kind of sad when I heard he was sick, but like when he passed, I wasn't sad. I was just really angry. He was a good man, and you know he was dealt some bad cards, but he just did his best, and it kind of made me mad that out of all people it was him."

"It kind of broke my heart," Running Back Brennen DeMarco said. "I didn't expect it to happen so soon."

Players said Dinter was a family man and always put those he cared about before himself. On the football field, he was a man of a few words. However, McQuitty and others said he meant it.

Running Back Brennen DeMarco said, "I came off, and I was mad I didn't make the play, and coach Dinter came up to me and he patted me on my back and goes you know what you need to do and I'm like yeah I know."

Star Quarterback Brevinn Tyler agreed noting Dinter's knack for knowing exactly what to say and when to say it.

"Since 8th grade...since I was their age, every fall he's been there. It's just sad knowing that's not going to happen again, and that's not going to be the same," Tyler said.

"He never missed a practice. He never missed a beat. He loved to be out here, and that's one of the things that made him so special," Conyers said.

The community outreach for the Dinter family has come from all over. The community created a GoFundMe for Dinter's family that raised almost 32-thousand dollars toward its goal. The team and family members will also host a benefit Oct. 9 to raise money and celebrate the life of Jon Dinter.

On the field, Battle had a game to play the week of Dinter's death, and Conyers remembered just how difficult it was to take the field.

"My energy was down. I couldn't focus real well, so how can you expect you know 14-18 year-old men to focus," Conyers said.

The players said keeping emotions in check was a tough task.

Tyler said, "I think just keeping things in check and controlling things we can control. We just had to focus on winning the game."

The team stayed focused as Tyler connected with McQuitty for a touchdown on the first drive of the game. The team went on to win against Hickman on the same field the Kewpies returned to after losing a coach of their own, Arnel Monroe, to remain perfect.

"We've got something bigger than ourselves to play for right now," Conyers said.

The team returned home for the first home game against Truman since Dinter's passing. They too would not be enough to stop the Spartans as Battle won a thriller in overtime.

Tyler said "We just have to focus on winning. That's all we can do."

Conyers said, "He never let cancer define who he was, and I think that's probably the biggest thing I learned from his is you know even though the cards he was dealt, a lot of people could have laid down, but he chose to fight."

The team will also where "JD" helmet stickers and grey throughout the year, which is the color for those battling brain cancer, for the rest of the season.

Fight, inspiration, perseverance, funny memories, whatever you want to call it, it works. Battle beat rival Jefferson City and still remains undefeated in its search for a state championship for Dinter.

Photos courtesy of family and friends of the Dinters and Battle High School

COLUMBIA — Missouri prosecutors on Wednesday came out against Republican Gov. Mike Parson's proposal to give the state attorney... More >>
36 minutes ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 11:15:49 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in News
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is making clear why he opposes extra money for the cash-strapped U.S. Postal Service.... More >>
40 minutes ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 11:12:01 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in News
( Missourian ) - Want to support Columbia businesses that are struggling through the pandemic and not leave your... More >>
1 hour ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 10:48:08 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Police in southwestern Missouri are investigating the shooting death of a man in Springfield. Police said... More >>
1 hour ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 10:41:41 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in News
ST. LOUIS — The newest Major League Soccer team will be called St. Louis City SC when it debuts... More >>
1 hour ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 10:23:53 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in News
As COVID-19 continues to spread, KOMU 8 will continue to update you about impacts in the community. You can... More >>
1 hour ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 10:01:00 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in News
(CNN) -- Boris Johnson's latest strategy to fight coronavirus aims to make Britain healthier -- but campaigners are worried about... More >>
3 hours ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 8:05:05 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A man has been charged in the shooting death of a 4-year-old Kansas City, Missouri,... More >>
5 hours ago Friday, August 14 2020 Aug 14, 2020 Friday, August 14, 2020 6:09:31 AM CDT August 14, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Forum Boulevard closed throughout the night for construction workers to build storm sewer drainage between Green Meadows Road... More >>
16 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 7:44:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Columbia’s City Council discussed homelessness Thursday during their budget work session. Ward 1 Council Member, Pat Fowler,... More >>
16 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 7:16:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in News
(AP) - The NCAA will not conduct fall championship events - a move that does not effect major college football... More >>
17 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:10:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — The owner of one of Columbia's oldest buildings is glad he invested in fire sprinklers when he bought... More >>
17 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 5:58:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in News
WARDSVILLE - For the eighth consecutive season, Blair Oaks will start a Hair brother at quarterback this fall. From... More >>
18 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 5:34:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in Sports
The American Psychiatric Association describes obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) as "an anxiety disorder in which time people have recurring, unwanted thoughts,... More >>
19 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 4:04:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
BOONE COUNTY - Boone County hit a new record of 1,500 cases of COVID-19 on Thursday. This is an increase... More >>
19 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 4:01:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA — For 25 years, Chris Perry has worked as a sign language interpreter for deaf schools in Missouri and... More >>
21 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:45:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in News
21 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:41:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA- Columbia Public Schools will be implementing a new plan for middle and high school students. In an email... More >>
21 hours ago Thursday, August 13 2020 Aug 13, 2020 Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:19:00 PM CDT August 13, 2020 in News