UPDATE: Suspect in a Columbia bank robbery faces federal charges
COLUMBIA – The suspect of a bank robbery in south Columbia is now in federal court, after implicating himself in several other robberies over the past two years.
A complaint in the Western District Court said Roger L. Ballinger, 33, entered Commerce Bank on Sandman Lane on Monday, showed a semi-automatic gun and demanded money from a teller.
Ballinger took $5,850 from the bank and fled on foot. CPD started a foot pursuit and apprehended the suspect and recovered the money.
An affidavit from a FBI special agent said, Ballenger admitted to be a serial bank robber and the person responsible for the following robberies:
- Commerce Bank, Columbia on November 5, 2018
- Merchants and Farmers Bank, Columbia on June 8, 2018, where he stole $7,877
- Great Southern Bank, Columbia, on September 7, 2018, where he had stolen $13,645
- Chase Bank in St. Petersburg, Florida, on March 14, 2018
- Other incidents at auto part stores
Ballinger faces charges of first-degree robbery and armed criminal action in the Monday robbery. He is being held at the Boone County Jail without a bond.