UPDATE: Unattended cooking caused fire at East Broadway Apartments
COLUMBIA - Firefighters said unattended cooking caused the fire at an apartment complex in central Columbia on Sunday.
The fire happened in the 1700 block of East Broadway shortly before 3 p.m.
Fire crews arrived less than five minutes later and saw heavy smoke and fire coming from a window in one of the apartments. They got the fire under control in about ten minutes, and managed to contain the fire to just the one apartment.
Assistant Fire Marshal Kyle Edwards was dispatched to the scene to perform a fire origin and cause investigation.
He determined the fire started in the kitchen and was the result of unattended cooking. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $175,000. The apartment had working smoke alarms.
Eight units from the Columbia Fire Department responded to this call. There were no reported injuries. The occupants are displaced and working with the Red Cross on temporary accommodations.