Veteran remembers late brother-in-law through Honor Flight

1 year 7 months 2 weeks ago Thursday, July 05 2018 Jul 5, 2018 Thursday, July 05, 2018 9:49:00 PM CDT July 05, 2018 in News
By: Eric Graves, KOMU 8 Reporter

JEFFERSON CITY - Ralph Beach is a 75 year old Korean War veteran who is still serving his fellow veterans.

Beach focuses on raising money so other veterans can go on Central Missouri Honor Flights like he did.

Beach went on the 50th Central Missouri Honor Flight in November of 2017.

Central Missouri Honor Flight takes veterans to Washington D.C to visit the memorials that are dedicated to their service for free.

At first, Beach did not think he deserved to go on an honor flight.

“I didn’t particularly want to go yet because I didn’t feel like I deserved it,” Beach said.

Beach served in radio relay for 13 months in Korea, he felt that he did not deserve to go since he did not see combat.

“We hear that alot, I dont deserve to go, or I didn't leave the states or whatever,” Honor Flight President Mary Paulsell said.

After hearing from other veterans about their honor flight experiences, Beach decided to give it a try.

"I am terribly glad that I went," Beach said.

Honor flights start with all 110 veterans and 35 volunteers on the flight being bussed to a charter plane in St. Louis at 2:00 a.m.

Once they land in D.C. the group gets a police escort tour of the city, followed by visiting the World War II memorial, the changing of the guard at Arlington, Iwo Jima memorial, Vietnam memorial and Korean War memorial.

At the end of the day everyone loads back onto the plane to head back home.

On the drive home from St. Louis more than 500 motorcycles meet the busses at the exit to Kingdom City and escort them the rest of the way back to Columbia.

Once the veterans are back in Columbia they are welcomed by hundreds of friends and family.

“It’s a very long day for them but in many ways they become far more invigorated by it,” Paulsell said.

Beach was certainly invigorated by his experience.

"It's a heart wrenching, eye-opening experience that I would like for every veteran of eligibility, Vietnam, Korean and World War II Veterans to go," Beach said.

Beach truly did want every veteran to go, even his brother-in-law, David Ashley, who passed away in 2011.

"David couldn't go, so he went with me," Beach said.

Ashley was diagnosed with Parkinson's, his doctors said it was more than likely from his exposure to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam.

"I took his picture, I took his obituary, I took his biography. I carried it in my pocket the whole trip," Beach said.

Beach took pictures with Ashley's picture at every monument he went to that day, including the Vietnam War monument that honored Ashley for his service.

Once he got back, he gave all the pictures he had taken with Ashley's picture to Ashley's wife, Nancy.

"I was unaware he had taken the trip basically to honor David Ashley.  It was after Ralph got back, he shared with me what he had done," Nancy Ashley said.

"We cried for awhile, and she added it to the other medals he had gotten," Beach said. "That's what the trip meant to me, I took my brother-in-law with me."

After making sure his brother-in-law got his flight, Beach now wants to get as many veterans as possible on an honor flight.

"I was kind of thinking that I have not done quite enough and I want to help all I can," Beach said.

Beach's goal is to raise enough money to get five or seven veterans to go each year.

Sending one veteran is a little more than $300.

Beach also tries to convince every veteran he sees to go and carries applications around in his pockets so he is always ready.

"I don't force anything on anybody and it's just something I feel good about doing," he said.

COLUMBIA - Boone County Counts will hold the latest in a series of outreach meetings about the 2020 Census on... More >>
4 hours ago Friday, February 21 2020 Feb 21, 2020 Friday, February 21, 2020 5:00:00 AM CST February 21, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - Empower Missouri spearheaded a letter to Gov. Mike Parson to try to reinstate a tax incentive program for... More >>
14 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 7:02:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - A head-on collision between a school bus and a SUV blocked both sides of North Route Z. ... More >>
14 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:41:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Leonard Jerome Wilson, 41, a former Camden County Sheriff's deputy, was sentenced to 8 years of federal... More >>
16 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:47:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - A man is in police custody after officials say he stole an ambulance, Thursday. Officials took 40-year-old... More >>
17 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:27:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A Jefferson City man was arrested on Thursday afternoon at approximately 2:28 p.m. at the grocery store,... More >>
17 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:22:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
MOBERLY - People in Moberly are excited about the announcement Plumrose USA made Tuesday. The company is set to bring... More >>
17 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:00:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Firefighters are more likely to die by suicide, than in the line of duty, according to a... More >>
17 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:48:57 PM CST February 20, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
JEFFERSON CITY - A Columbia man was sentenced in federal court today for illegally possessing a firearm. Samuel Ernest... More >>
18 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:29:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
A new report shows "active shooter drills" might be doing more harm than good. Today, 95% of schools participate in... More >>
18 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:11:55 PM CST February 20, 2020 in A Brighter Tomorrow
COLUMBIA - Local police responded to a "shots fired" call Wednesday at approximately 10:33 p.m. at the 100 block of... More >>
18 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:03:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
COLUMBIA - In a probable cause document, investigators laid out a case that Joseph Elledge strangled his missing wife, Mengqi... More >>
18 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 2:59:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Investigators believe Joseph Elledge strangled or suffocated his wife and disposed of her body in... More >>
18 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 2:51:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri Senate has passed legislation that would provide a tax incentive to save money... More >>
19 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 1:56:00 PM CST February 20, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Joseph Elledge, the husband of missing Columbia woman Mengqi Ji, has been charged with first-degree murder, according... More >>
22 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:00:00 AM CST February 20, 2020 in News
ASHLAND - A lawsuit against Ashland Mayor, Gene Rhorer, brought up instances of Rhorer asking Police Chief Lyn Woolford to... More >>
23 hours ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:09:00 AM CST February 20, 2020 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Multiple law enforcement agencies have been conducting an investigation on scene in west Columbia. Public Information... More >>
1 day ago Thursday, February 20 2020 Feb 20, 2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:06:00 AM CST February 20, 2020 in News
LAS VEGAS — The latest on the 2020 presidential campaign and Democratic debate 6 p.m. Six Democratic... More >>
1 day ago Wednesday, February 19 2020 Feb 19, 2020 Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:07:00 PM CST February 19, 2020 in News