Voluntary Action to exchange AC units during summer months
COLUMBIA - The city of Columbia said Monday some water & light and Boone Electric customers could exchange old air conditioners for free during the warm summer months.
Water & Light said a program administered through the Voluntary Action Center would give more efficient window air conditioning units to families that were current Columbia Water & Light or Boone Electric customers, had inefficient or broken window air conditioning units, and had an annual income 200% lower than the poverty line.
Qualifying households include:
- 1 person households making $23,540 or less per year
- 2 person households making $31,860 or less per year
- 3 person households making $40,180 or less per year
- 4 person households making $45,500 or less per year
- 5 person households making $56,820 or less per year
- 6 person households making $65,140 or less per year
- 7 person households making $73,460 or less per year
- 8 person households making $81,780 or less per year
Water & Light said customers should call the Voluntary Action Center at 573-874-2273 before bringing their units in. In addition to the air conditioner, qualified customers must bring the following: proof of current Boone County Address (ID's and leases not accepted), Identification of everyone at the address, proof of all income for the household including food stamps and TANF and a recent utility bill.
The program runs through September 10.