Weather Service Releases Tips for Winter Weather Awareness
COLUMBIA - Missouri winter weather can be difficult to predict, but the National Weather Service says it's good to be prepared for when it might arrive. The service has partnered with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the State Emergency Management Agency to promote Winter Weather Awareness Day.
Officials have released several tips for staying safe this winter:
- Create a family emergency plan and kit
- Make sure all heat sources are functioning properly
- Have a winter car kit ready with emergency supplies
- Be careful when shoveling snow or pushing a car out of a snow bank
- Charge cell phones before driving in winter weather
Officials encourage Mid-Missourians to stay tuned to local weather forecasts and be ready in case severe winter weather hits.