Woman Regains Mobility After Voluntarily Amputating Her Foot

5 years 7 months 6 days ago Monday, December 10 2012 Dec 10, 2012 Monday, December 10, 2012 3:55:00 PM CST December 10, 2012 in News
By: Emily Spain

COLUMBIA - Walking the halls of Parkade Elementary School, Judy Berna reunites with her childhood memories and her earliest fears.

"I remember feeling not like everybody else, but wanting to be like everybody else," Berna said recalling her years spent at the school.

While at Parkade, Judy learned at a young age that life isn't always fair.

"This was definitely when I was in these halls, the transition that I realized that it was different. It was something that I was going to have forever."

Doctors diagnosed Judy with spina bifida when she was born, leading her parents to take her to Boston Children's Hospital for treatment.

"It's a lot of uncertainty, I had never heard about this type of thing," Judy's dad Leon Johnson said. "We didn't know how to interpret it and how to go from here."

Spina bifida is the incomplete development of the spinal cord, coverings or spine. Doctor's tried to fix Judy's case when she was a baby.

"Sent me home and said best of luck and it seemed like everything went great," Judy said. It wasn't until she came to Parkade, that she first noticed her left foot start to curl in the fifth grade.

"Always when I had a growth spurt, the spinal cord was blocking the signals," Judy said. "I couldn't go do all the things I wanted to do."

The disease left her foot useless, curling more with every growth spurt. Judy used crutches and a leg brace to get around. "I still can't remember what it feels like to run," she said.

So, Judy got used to watching life from the sidelines. "You know I had four kids who were middle school down to five and it just wasn't fair that I didn't get to go do things."

After nearly three decades of letting her foot step in the way of her mobility, she decided to take action.

"I really started to think maybe I need to think about amputation, I mean that was drastic."

Sounds pretty crazy, right?

"I think it's so shocking that you don't have a reaction," Judy's dad said.

In 2004, at the age of 37, Judy decided to replace her less-than-perfect foot, with a prosthetic state-of-the-art one.

"Mine is a back wards story that I was thrilled to have it done, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It meant I got to start over," Judy said.

Doctor's were skeptical of what Judy proposed, calling her foot healthy, but she fought for one that worked. A doctor in Utah ended up amputating her deformed foot just above the ankle near the mid-calf, leaving enough room for her prosthetic foot to fit.

"I always say it's my hero because I can do everything I want to do."

Since the surgery, Judy's been skiing, hiking and bike riding, no longer disabled by a deteriorating limb.

"I clicked this leg on and it was amazing, like I just felt like this is what I've waited for," Judy said.

A 37-year wait, to finally step off the sidelines and into a new walk of life.

"I felt like I was finally one whole piece," she said.

Judy also wrote a book about her experience titled, "Just One Foot: How Amputation Cured My Disability." For more information on Judy or her book, click here.

JEFFERSON CITY - The Missouri Democratic Party filed an appeal to the ruling from a Cole County judge dismissing a... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:59:00 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
FULTON - In the span of one month, law enforcement responded to nine car crashes on Route F between Boone... More >>
2 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:40:00 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The man who caused the crash which left a Harrisburg teacher dead pleaded guilty Wednesday. Brandon Brill,... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:34:00 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
SANTA ANA, CALIFORNIA (AP) — Wet and muddy from their trek across the Mexican border, immigrant children say they sat... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:50:00 AM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- The 12 members of a youth soccer team and their coach who spent more than two weeks trapped... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:24:00 AM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri program aimed at connecting stroke, heart attack and trauma patients with the best care... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:17:00 AM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- The owner of the Mandalay Bay hotel says it bears no liability in last year's Las Vegas concert... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:32:00 AM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A 61-year-old southwest Missouri woman has been sentenced to life in prison for an ambush-style shooting of... More >>
9 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:08:59 AM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - An arrest for suspicion of filing a false report has been made in connection to a reported robbery... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:44:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
CALLAWAY COUNTY - After four days of searching, Jerry Kinman has been found dead near Little Dixie Lake. Kinman,... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:19:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
STURGEON - The carnival rides at the Boone County Fair closed unexpectedly just hours after the fair opened because they... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:00:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - A democratic candidate for Missouri's fourth congressional district criticized the Republican incumbent Tuesday for her lack of action... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:46:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Chamber of Commerce harshly criticized the city council at Monday night's meeting regarding projects being put... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:41:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Hy-Vee recalled its Spring Pasta Salad from 244 stores on Tuesday. Company officials said 20 illnesses by... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:54:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
MEXICO - Josh Hawley faced questions about President Donald Trump's summit with Russia as well as tariffs facing Missouri farmers... More >>
22 hours ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:31:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Construction crews began adding a turn lane for an upcoming Columbia middle school on South Sinclair Road on... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:58:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
BOONE COUNTY – Expecting mothers in Boone County will soon have more services at their disposal. The county received... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:16:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Grain Belt Express Clean Line, a proposed energy transmission project through northern Missouri, got new life... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, July 17 2018 Jul 17, 2018 Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:59:00 PM CDT July 17, 2018 in News