Jefferson City 1/2 Cent Sales Tax Effects
JEFFERSON CITY - Details emerged Wednesday about where revenues will go from the 1/2 cent sales tax extension voters overwhelmingly approved Tuesday. The tax will now be in effect through 2017.
- Fifty-nine percent will be used to fund various public works projects.
- Nineteen percent will be spent on public safety projects.
- Ten percent will be used towards parks projects, with the possibility of building a multipurpose recreation site.
- Two percent will be used for the improvement of information and technology services.
- The remaining ten percent will go toward contingency spending, which includes economic development and various other emerging projects.
Jefferson City's finance director Steve Schlueter said the tax is necessary for projects that aren't covered by the city's budget. He said the city is not considering any new tax increases.